The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermosyphon warming process
The above is considering the specific steady state condition, as an example, where the car is being driven and the engine is putting out 10.2 bhp (7.6KW), with an estimated twice this power going into the exhaust gases and to the radiator, split 50:50, in the form of waste heat.

The estimate of the speed at 10.2 bhp of around 40(+)mph comes from the idea that a Ruby needs a quoted 17bhp to do its max speed of 51mph.
(24-05-2022, 09:06 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

I have noticed the gradual performance increase with time on the road, but always put it down to the slow warming and thinning of the gearbox and back axle oil, thereby reducing drag.

Early axles with the tar-like mixture of oil and grease must have had enormous drag compared with the teaspoon-full of 3-in-one used today.
(25-05-2022, 12:33 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(24-05-2022, 09:06 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

I have noticed the gradual performance increase with time on the road, but always put it down to the slow warming and thinning of the gearbox and back axle oil, thereby reducing drag.

Early axles with the tar-like mixture of oil and grease must have had enormous drag compared with the teaspoon-full of 3-in-one used today.

And even more than if you use AFMT  Big Grin

Dennis
I don't think cold gearbox and axle oil was an issue, I'd done over 40 miles at 30-40 mph.