The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermosyphon warming process
Further to the earlier post which covered the question of the thermosyphon process, I have found the step by step pictures I took of the warming process. 
The heat patterns are relative rather than specific temperatures but here goes step by step with timings shown. I have to do in 2 posts as i appear to be limited on pictures per post:
Engine cold:

.jpg   1.jpg (Size: 128.47 KB / Downloads: 775)

Engine head warming but no sign of any heat going into radiator

.jpg   2.jpg (Size: 101.5 KB / Downloads: 774)

First sign of some heat travelling into radiator

.jpg   3.jpg (Size: 107.74 KB / Downloads: 778)

First sign of real heat into top of radiator by the inlet

.jpg   4.jpg (Size: 129.34 KB / Downloads: 775)

more heat into top of radiator but rad still cool

.jpg   5.jpg (Size: 110.87 KB / Downloads: 775)

heat beginning to travel down height of radiator less than 4 minutes after start up

.jpg   6.jpg (Size: 123.68 KB / Downloads: 780)

more to follow

next picture
top of radiator temp stable but heat travelling down suggesting thermosyphoning running now

.jpg   7.jpg (Size: 125.05 KB / Downloads: 771)

30 seconds later more heat at the base of the radiator

.jpg   8.jpg (Size: 125.01 KB / Downloads: 774)

again a few seconds later with the engine hot but the radiator still not at full working temp and still relatively cool at bottom

.jpg   9.jpg (Size: 109.98 KB / Downloads: 774)

30 seconds after last radiator picture and the heat pattern is relatively stable and remained like this with the radiator core middle at 86 degrees

.jpg   10.jpg (Size: 121.86 KB / Downloads: 777)

engine now at even temperature, just over 5 minutes from start up

.jpg   11.jpg (Size: 108.06 KB / Downloads: 782)

All of course at a standstill so not real driving, but temperatures appeared to stabelize at the 5 minutes or so point from start up at a relatively low 17 degrees ambient.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Andy, that's a very useful observation. I am looking forward to seeing the final set of photos. 
Cheers 
Graham
That's the full set now Graham. It appeared to tag on the second message to the first
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for taking the time to compile the images.
No problem, I found the efficiency of the carburettor remaining stone cold on the last picture whilst all about it is hot is impressive.
Super pictures, thank you for posting them Andy. Most interesting to see the very cold carburettor. As my flight instructor once said, "Inside a carburettor, it's always winter." i.e. the evaporation of the fuel causes a significant drop in temperature and, in an extreme case, inlet manifold icing. On one of my cars. a '29 fitted with a side-draught SU suffers from this. The cure is a hot-spot, created by the application of several turns of wire wrapped around the exhaust pipe and inlet manifold.
On a piston-engined light aircraft, when it flies into a different flavour of air and suffers from ice-accumulated misfiring, there's a lever to select "Hot Air". The ice then melts, the engine misfire worsens, the pilot panics thinking he's made it worse, switches off hot air - and the engine stops.
Interesting that heat appears to build up initially at the top of the radiator before the flow becomes properly established? (Pictures 4 and 6). It is this effect that perhaps helps with a quicker warm-up compared with an unthermostated pumped system?
The best solution is a Renault thermostat inside the top hose. The engine then warms up before the thermostat opens. It also runs at a more sensible temperature.
If used in winter with thermo-syphon the engine is over-cooled and doesn't reach a good operating temperature.
Jim
Considering the enthusiam for expensive oils, I am surprised not more interest in thermostats which according to the books likely reduce wear far more  than any difference of post 1940s oils.
I think that is the exhaust in those pictures Colin, what I am curious about is why the horn was so hot at start up??
Black Art Enthusiast