The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transporting Austins in vans
I have been trying to get into this old thread about moving/fitting various sevens into vans and, when using a popular internet search engine, I can find the old forum, read the text but not the photos. On this new platform the search facility refuses to retrieve on the title or variations of the words. Where do I go next?
(26-01-2018, 09:50 AM)Barry Wrote: I have been trying to get into this old thread about moving/fitting various sevens into vans and, when using a popular internet search engine, I can find the old forum, read the text but not the photos. On this new platform the search facility refuses to retrieve on the title or variations of the words. Where do I go next?

Hi Barry.

We use a long wheelbase, medium-height Ford Transit van for business.  With the roof lowered, Austin Seven tourers will fit into it easily.  Pre-Ruby saloons will go in, but I have to fit a pair of scrap wheels minus tyres to the back axle to clear the door head.  I haven't yet tried a Ruby saloon.

Hope this helps.
Johny Johnstone had Merc. Sprinter - his Ruby fitted in it easily.
[attachment=1984]

Depends on how small the van is I suppose,

[attachment=1985]

But here is Tracy's 1927 AD in a vauxhall vivaro.

We had to remove the spare wheel, and put 15 inch wheels on the front to lower the hight of the windscreen.

Tony.
I'd like to know how you get them in from the ground to the inner surface of the van when they don't have any power.
Winch and ramps? or brute force lifting each end ?
VW crafter with a high roof - plenty of room all round.  The ramps are 8' long and work out at about 1 in 3 1/2 gradient. The Ruby needed a run-up which was a bit nerve-racking!

Great training for an Italianjob using a team of Rubies
Just don’t blow the bloody doors off!

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
(27-01-2018, 01:00 PM)AllAlloyCup Wrote: Great training for an Italianjob using a team of Rubies
Just don’t blow the bloody doors off!

Bill G

It would be a shame to see three Rubies shoved out the back and over the side of an Alpine pass, exploding into balls of flame as they plummet down the mountain side into a river! Sad
Beware the wheel arches within the van - check height clearance.  Getting the A7 through the doors is not the only problem.  Anchorage can also be a bit fiddly unless there is a side door.
You'll managage, eventually!
Anthony
Thanks for the suggestions. Hire companies that allow continental travel are few and probably will not want the insides of their nice vans damaged with oil, screws etc.