The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another rather splendid photo
and not a collar and tie in sight.. 

Sent to me by a pal this week originating from South African Railways

Love the brakes !!
What does the steering wheel do?

I wonder why these haven't caught on - much cheaper than HS2?

That is an interesting picture of an interesting machine. It is evidently not a manufactured piece of kit, as the attached photo of Wickham's modification of a Seven indicates. The SAR machine at first glance seems to have running gear adapted from a PW trolley or maybe a velocipede as built by Sheffield or Buda. I will ask around, but probably a better historian will beat me to finding out further info.
Is that Wickham as in Wickham Trolley fame, Steve?

.jpg   wickham.jpg (Size: 388.44 KB / Downloads: 369)
always fun, until someone comes the other way.

tony.
Sorry Hugh, I should have made clear that the Seven conversion was by Wickhams, railway equipment manufacturers of Ware. Many of the surviving trolleys still have their original JAP engines in them. Security arrangements are about the same as London jewellers. Offers to swap the JAP for a brand new three cylinder Kubota engine would get a rude response.
I think the steering wheel has been left so as to give the driver something to pull on when applying those brakes ! Those wheels and cow? catcher look like they weigh the same as the rest of the car.
Though it appears the Wickham version Steve posted has lost its steering wheel?
The cow catcher looks a little optimistic. I have a feeling the cow would win...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!