The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Austin friendly garages in Hampshire
Hello all,
I'm new to vintage cars and Austins and want to get the king pins done on my box saloon.  Can anyone recommend a garage that is austin/ vintage car friendly near Winchester please?
Many thanks
Ben
Just as a precursor Ben have you checked that the kingpin cotters are tight? They can often give the impression of worn kingpins, if they are loose.
Steve Hodgson SMH Services is A7 specific, very reasonable, and does pick up and drop off from West Sussex. Worth trying if you cannot find anything else, but transport would all be extra cost.
If the cotters are loose the Axle eyes are most likely going to be to be worn and will need shrinking Ivor, in my experience tightening the cotters will be a very short term fix and they will come loose again unless you resolve the issue.
Without the mechanical skills to assess and replace the bushes and pins Ben would be well advised to consult someone like Steve Hodgson as Jon has suggested.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian, I agree wholeheartedly, the reason I mentioned it was that I have found cars which have had new kingpins and bushes fitted and the cotter was left loose, so I think it’s worth checking first!
Thankyou for the replies.
I'll be honest I haven't checked the cotters but the drivers side wheel has so much movement that I think it is all in a bad way and needs properly looking at.
Where are you in Hampshire
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Ruairidh Dunford rebuilds front axle beams, he rebuilt my Ruby front axle, reforged the eyes, fitted new king pins, and refitted the stub axles, good turn around time, very reasonable and first class job, no hesitation in recommending his services.

Realise he is not local but good courier service back and forth.