The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - March 2022
Aah! Well spotted, Robert. That makes sense - so this will be in the Longbridge body shop before the complete assembly was united with the rolling chassis.
(01-03-2022, 12:33 PM)squeak Wrote: I can't recall a 2 piece windscreen on an Australian built seven,  and have associated the swaged waistline as a feature of the Holden built Austin bodies but not other local coachbuilders. 
Happy to be shown otherwise.

As far as I am aware all Australian Chummy bodies had an angled one piece windscreen and as Russell notes mainly Holden bodies had the swage, although I believe they supplied Melbourne Motor Body and possibly others with panels.
Tony I have examples 27, 28, 29 with vertical windscreen pillars (no slope) and lamp brackets attached. The 29 car has gloveboxes as well.
.jpg   austin roadster holden body.JPG (Size: 60.01 KB / Downloads: 191)
Both 1928 Chummys with lamp brackets here have angled screens and from memory two Holden coupes as well so I don't know.
(01-03-2022, 08:56 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: If you look closely Mike you will see they are on trestles and not fitted to a chassis. Like other photos I've seen the body is fitted out and dropped onto a running chassis.

I was just about to make that point myself. Note the factory roof - it's a rather lightweight structure - and the mezzanine floor. Do we have any more picture of the interior of the Austin works to compare it with?
The thing that struck me was how young most of the workers appear to be. People in pre-war photos normally look about 25 years older than they actually are so this bunch must be in their early teens.

I mentioned earlier that the image appears in a book about the American motor industry. I have found a review of the book on this Danish website: https://viaretro.dk/2015/02/boghjoernet-...mbly-line/

[Image: Austin-7-Danish-Review.png]

Google translates the caption as: "The British wanted tea breaks and small cars. It did not suit Ford, so therefore Austin Seven had good sales."