The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
19 inch tyre preference please
The fact that Avon's are capable of lasting decades says all you need to know about them. A hard wearing tyre is a hardly working tyre.

Go for the Longstones.
Theres plenty of photos about of 'sports' with Avons fitted with the car on 2 wheels as the outside ones grip against roll while cornering. 

I think they demonstrate that 'grip' from them adequate. Particularly so for a road car. 

This morning I have fitted some decades old 400x19 used Dunlops to a pair of 19's. Again very good tyres. I use them on the rear of the big saloon. But this size looks awfull on the front. 

I believe Excelsior branded copies are availible at 400. 350/400 and 350x19, though pricey as I recall. 

.jpg   Screenshot_20220307-133746_Gallery.jpg (Size: 284.87 KB / Downloads: 183)
"tyres lasting many years"
I don't know if the date code is stamped on all the tyres mentioned above? in accordance with the new laws?
Dose the new law stating the maximum number of years old of tyres that can be in use apply to our cars?

Dennis
I have always got on well with Avons on my road going Austins, but would go for the Longstones now.  I think the Blockleys were primarily designed for competition use and in my opinion are a touch too 'grippy'.  We are lucky to have a reasonable choice of 19" tyres at such an affordable price.
(08-03-2022, 10:14 AM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote: "tyres lasting many years"
I don't know if the date code is stamped on all the tyres mentioned above? in accordance with the new laws?
Dose the new law stating the maximum number of years old of tyres that can be in use apply to our cars?

Dennis

The date code is on all fairly modern tyres. 

And no, it does not. No requirement for cars.

Only HGV (and possibly PSV), in commercial service, and only the steer axles. I believe it also applies to the rear on minibuses without twins on the rear.