The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis Paint Markings
In the process of cleaning and fettling the chassis frame on my Mulliner I have found these two letters painted on to the rear cross member. Normally they were hidden behind the battery box.  The other side of the cross member has the chassis number written in white paint, possibly using stencils.  I seem to remember this was done on chassis leaving the works without bodywork, is this correct?. Does anyone know what 'SN' might refer to though?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,
I don't know the actual answer to your query but offer this as a possible suggestion based on the item / photos about the time warp fabric saloon on here. which is supposedly very original.

On one of the photos, this shows EX (in yellowish paint) followed by SN 6? 2? in white paint also on the rear chassis member. Given that this car was exported to Spain by the sound of it could it be EX = export and SN = saloon? Perhaps the numbers could relate to either a chassis number or build date or similar??

If so, could the same be applied to your car so the SN is simply referring to saloon?

It's an interesting question for which, hopefully, somebody far more knowledgeable than me will have the correct answer but at least I've come up with a possible solution...
Best wishes
Nick
Would the chassis have had any differences if sent to a coach builder for a saloon, open tourer or sports body body?
Have you got an Austin plate on N/S - facing front - of rear cross member too? Yes, it's Saloon, most likely... from all the ones found so far.
(08-02-2022, 07:25 PM)JonE Wrote: Have you got an Austin plate on N/S - facing front - of rear cross member too? Yes, it's Saloon, most likely... from all the ones found so far.

No there is no plate on this chassis.

In reply to Tony as the 'quote' box does not seem to work .....
That is an interesting thought. Rolling chassis went to Mulliners for bodies with various parts stacked on top off a standard floorpan, parts like bulkhead pressings, wings, bonnet, etc. etc. Except that the Mulliner sports did not use standard Austin wings, bonnet or dashboard....so were these chassis were marked 'SP' at Longbridge as they were sent to Mulliners without these parts?..... the marking would tell the chaps on the factory floor what to stack on the floorpans... sports had their floorpans narrowed by way, presumably once at Mulliners.... the one I have inspected closely had this done very crudely !
It seems likely that a standard chassis was sent in every case. Any simple modifications need to mount a body - brackets or extensions - being achieved very easily by the coachbuilders themselves.
I ought to strip the paint on my chassis crossmember here as I know it was Mulliner, (ledgered) and it does have the Austin plate.
If anyone finds SP lettering, please photograph it!

If there isn't a plate, are there any 'oles?!
Hello, Mike,
  my sister's 1928 fabric saloon has SN and the chassis number on the rear cross member like yours and other unadulterated cars. 

just realised these are both facing forwards. Right where an Austin ownership plate would be found as per the GE cars. Some of the export cars are on the reverse face of the crossmember, same position.
Maybe not quite related, but any idea what this might say?

.jpg   b5063writing.jpg (Size: 86.88 KB / Downloads: 118)

It's a close up of this picture.