The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Warp Fabric Saloon
(08-02-2022, 06:26 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Not something I'd really want because I wouldn't know what I could do with it. Got a magneto in the airing cupboard though and a crank and rods in the wardrobe Blush

Steve

A prominent vintage car man in North Yorkshire broke his foot when he caught it on a large 6 cylinder crankshaft that he had stowed away under a bed!
The problem (if it can be called so) with cars in such original condition are that they are totally unique. However delicate they may be now, they are a virgin record of what such cars were like when they were first built.

I recall that, some years ago, a friend of mine acquired a 1915 Cadillac that was used only for two years before being stored in a barn in Texas for the next 70. By the time my friend owned it, it had been recommissioned and was running very well, but was still in the plight and condition in which it was found.  when my friend's widow sold it at auction, the car went for very much more that it's estimated price.

So, someone will buy it for exactly what it is.

What it needs, ideally, however, is for it to go to a publicly accessed collection and kept, almost as one would preserve an ancient historical document, as a valuable source of reference.
About 10 years ago, I had a 1928 Fabric saloon, of the same type as this. I would have loved to have had those photo's then!

It drove very well, being very light (I could pick one of the rear wheels off the ground by hand!) and we did a few events down here, once I had sorted out it's mechanicals. Sadly, it had to go to pay some of the restoration bills on the Chummy. I missed it though....
I'd love that as is and use it as a daily driver...
(08-02-2022, 06:02 PM)Alan Wrote: I’ve asked and she said no. There is a magneto under the television, - you have to start somewhere.

One Christmas my wife very nicely suggested that I should move the body frame of my Special out of the dining room. My response to this was "Yes dear, the body frame can go out, as long at the Chieftain Tank supercharger stays where it is!" There was a long pause, and then she laughed thinking I was joking. I played along and it stayed hidden in the dining room for another year before it was discovered......
What is interesting is that the more you look, the more possibilities there are for realising the patina that builds up on old repair.
It's quite possible that the bottom half of the Valencia car's fabric has been replaced early on, but we will never be completely sure that it wasn't just two slightly different materials or colours from new.