The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rad drain tap hole thread
That could well be a possibility Ruairidh.
That is why several of us suggested it to you.
To my knowledge the rad is as made originally so I would have to think that the hole and threads are as originally made also.  Probably the best plan of action would be to turn up a thread cleaning tap to match the thread form and TPI and diameter of the drain tap and carefully run that through the hole until the correct fit is achieved.
Nothing is impossible. Radiator and the various cocks could be various threads, including 1/2 UNF. TPI can usually be established with care. A taper tap run through will cut too large for a parallle fitting.
Have you not got one of these?

[Image: hand-mechanic-man-holding-thread-260nw-1306901428.jpg]

Even if it won't fit inside you can take a cast with plasticine or silmilar

Photo shows a metric gauge but you'll need an imperial one.
Reckless, thanks for the suggestions. Yes I have several thread gauge sets, but you gave me a great idea about taking an impression from the hole itself so that I can check the TPI then make a cleaning tap to do the honors.

Stephen
and perhaps check that it's the same thread as the drain tap....
I'm hoping it is Hugh.
Another possibility is to use soft wood dowel screwed into the hole to get the thread size/type
I have found it more convenient to count hthreads in say 1/4 inch using the ever handy vernier gauge. 
Probably not applicable here but poor threads can sometimes be improved by sawing slots in a bolt, preferably tough stuff, as a tap.
From various sources charts are availablae of threads in progressive sizes with tpi/mm pitch, tap sizes etc. Very helpful for identity and for figuring remedies.