The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 Underslung chassis or Drop Frame
Photo 
[attachment=1976 Wrote:Oxford Jack pid='6295' dateline='1516809686']
(22-01-2018, 02:54 PM)Jim Blacklock Wrote:
(20-01-2018, 04:05 PM)Oxford Jack Wrote:
(20-01-2018, 01:10 PM)Jim Blacklock Wrote: Dear Each and All

I recently came across some letters, written in1932,  from A.P. Compton & Co. Ltd., of Arrow Coachworks, Boston Road, Hanwell, W7. to one of their customers, Norton Bracey Esq., of Weybridge.   

In the letter of 21st March 1932, A.P Compton refers to Mr Bracey's interest in "the Arrow 4-seater as fitted to the super sports underslung chassis  and that you would like to inspect one of these cars when we have one available.".  The letter goes on "We would advise you that we only build this body to the Austin 7 underslung chassis to special order and as it is not a production job with us it is rather difficult to advise you when you may inspect one." 

In the letter of 1st April 1932, from A.P. Compton, which is confirming Mr Bracey's impending visit to the Arrow Coachworks, the following is the final paragraph - "We would mention that if you manage to get here between 11.0 and 12.0 noon you would be able to see a Arrow Foursome body mounted on the same type of chassis in which you are interested, namely the Austin 7 underslung sports, as we have one which has been returned for fitting some extras and the client is collecting it tomorrow about midday."

In a letter from Messrs. Hattons Ltd., 665/667 Lord Street, Southport, to A.P Compton & Co. Ltd., they are really enthusiastic about the "Arrow Sports four seater on the drop frame Austin 7 h.p. unsupercharged chassis as supplied to their client". 

None of these particular version of the Austin 7 Arrow Sports Foursome now exist.

I am really not sure what a "drop frame Austin 7 unsupercharged chassis”  is, or "an Austin 7 underslung chassis” - can anyone please explain what these chassis were and what Austin 7 models they were used for.

Regards
Jim Blacklock
Austin 7 Arrow Register Registrar.
I cannot comment on the Austin/Arrow part of the enquiry, however I can add something about Mr Norton Bracey. At about this time he purchased a Wolseley Hornet Special. It seems his family had connections through the motor trade to Wolseley. The car was raced and trailed extensively over a few years and repairs, when required were often underwritten by Wolseley or their Agent. A few years ago the car was discovered by the WHS Club President, rebuilt and I was fortunate to be present on one of its first outings at the VSCC Goodwood Sprint, when Norton Bracey's daughter attended, bringing with her the quite large collection of trophies won by her father in the car. I will locate the photo and post it later. I may be able to put you in touch with her if you feel the enquiry might be productive.

Dear Jack,
Would this Wolseley Hornet Special be Reg# GY713??  I ask because it is the only one that I have found, during my search for any remaining Arrows.  If this car is connected the the letters of March 1932, then that would be rather amazing.  Thank you for your response. Cheers, Jim

Hello Jim,
No the reg is PJ 6010, If you PM me the whole number I will let you know which car GY is
Regards Jack

Hi Jack
The only Wolseley Hornet Special with an Arrow body that I know of reg is GY 713, as I hope you can see from the attached photo.  Yes I would like to get further information and photos of PJ 6010.  It might be easier if you could contact me via my email address ( a7arrowreg@tesco.net ) as I am not familiar with how the A7Friends website works and am rather confused by all the various terms and how to use it to get the most out of it.  Computers mostly confuse me! Sorry if I am blaspheming but I am just rather confused by all the options, icons, terminology etc. and my poor old grey matter is getting rather clogged up.  I'm off to the sanctuary of my garage.
Best regards Jim 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)