The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wing supports for Ulster Rep.
Thank you all. I'll contact Rod about the support. Jon, when you say Nippy and 65, was this standard fitment for the Nippy and 65? I'm going to fabricate new rear, front wing supports per Chris Gould. My current supports are just a 1 inch by 2 inch bolted with two bolts to that flitch panel or lower valance. Cracks have occurred. So I may repair or get new panels from the Petits. Now to find a 2.25 ball bearing per Chris Gould's booklet to make the body side support. Nice looking cars. Ruairidh I see that you use bifurcated rivets to attach the weatherstrip. Why is this preferred to the original staples?

Best,

Erich
(21-01-2018, 06:39 AM)Erich Wrote: Ruairidh I see that you use bifurcated rivets to attach the weatherstrip. Why is this preferred to the original staples?

'I' did not use them Erich - that is just what happened to be on that particular car.  The purpose of the photo was to show you what an original Nippy head light bracket brace looked like.

I built up the black car for Tony Betts, the the body and light/wing supports were made by Rod Yates.  I modified the tube construction so that the wiring goes internally and then through the rad cowl - in effect, largely hidden.

The same idea was used at the rear - depending where you choose to mount the lights on your own special, this may be of interest to you as well...

.jpg   Special rear lights.jpg (Size: 134.23 KB / Downloads: 353)

.jpg   Special Front light 2.jpg (Size: 147.71 KB / Downloads: 356)
Ruairidh, my tail lamps are mounted on top of the tail, so this arrangement would work for the rear of my car. I note that the wing fixing at the rear has a flattened tube to take the wing. This seems to be a cleaner system than mine which has a 1/8 inch flat bar welded to the end of the tube. 1/8 inch also seems a bit of over kill for what little weight it carries.

Erich
The wings on the black car are made of aluminium.
(19-01-2018, 06:05 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: This is how my rather minimalistic versions are:
Steve
Steve - what camber was your front spring set to before under car weight please?
It's 7 years ago, Jon, but I'm pretty sure the spring was flat therefore no camber.

Steve