The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differential Adjustment
Traces of metal are often remnants from past events; broken axles etc. Garages do not work to medical cleanliness. If anything is significantly  failing the oil rapidly acquires the sparkle of silver paint. Serious tooth wear is usually evident also on the cw but the hidden pinion is where it shows first. From my limited experience of two  I suspect Regent aftermarket cws are soft and wear flats appear although not with excessive noise. The Austin parts are quality and of the few I have dismantled the visible cw was reasonable despite pinion.The original diff in my car which spent much of its life in an alpine Wellington suburb, showed slight local pitting of the pinion at 110000 but remains fully servicable. Had been apart twice and a meshing was probably not ideal. Few cars will now do more than a few hundred miles per year so all new bearings is a huge extravagance. The side and pinion bearings are adjustable so if not rough or pitted OK. On early cars the pinion bearing can generate noise but the later roller is longer lived. That bearing is worth replacing, ideally with at worst normal tolerance. In the 50s my car spent several years outside immobile. The diff and gearbox parts above oil level became very rust pitted. but despite this, and rust in the bearings, used for 10000 miles after with no serious noise or roughness or cyclic rythm.
A not uncommon fault is a loose nut retaining the pinion bearings. The pinion can be fished out from underneath; a not unreasonable task if can raise the car high. Previous"mechanics" may have muddled up the location of shims. All abutmnets need to be questioned.
Felt under the rear seat and on floor is much less expensive than bearings.
With the masses of Seven parts still around in NZ I suspect a good cwp would not be hard to find if necessary. Unopened diffs yield useabale bearings.
Hi Bob. Have sent you a pm.