The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque Tube Adjustment Nut
I have read various recommendations to adjust the adjust the torque tube adjustment nut.  I have looked at diagrams in my books and online and see the nut clearly. but, so far have not seen a recommendation of how tight the adjustment should be.  I plan to do this while the torque tube is in the car? Would someone kindly advise me on this.
The car is a 1937 Ruby.
Graham.
Recommendations are based on relatively unworn which none are. The adj tightens considerably when the locking bolts are tightened. The socket must not heavily bind in any position of spring travel . On the early ones with no rubber bush can test by trying  to rotate the socket. It is common for all adj to be used. Can turn/file back the socket body to allow more.
There must be tricks for packing out play but I dunno.
Hi Graham

A 37 Ruby should have a siletblock bush at the bottom of the bracket.  The first thing I would check is the play here. If worn the torque tube will move up and down (and possibly sideways) and you will have reverse judder and a knock when setting off.

As Bob says most torque tube balls have a degree of wear and adjustment is not easily defined.  If the wear is such that ball is loose even when tightened fully you can dismantle and take some metal off the face of the bracket.  Remember, as Bob says the assembly tightens significantly when the two retaining bolts are tightened.

I tend to err on the side of looseness and make sure there is plenty of grease through the nipple on the top of the bracket.

Cheers

Howard