The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaser

Twin carbs and pressure-fed lubrication; I think Cutler's number 13 entry at Le Mans was the only car to have the spare wheel mounted under the tail like that.
Boulogne Racer.
Who was the artist?
Henry, there is a small but perfectly formed group known as the Light Car Section. If you send a cheque or postal order for £2.50 to a nice  man near Bath, you will receive a richly illustrated and learned magazine, whose Editor is a journalist, historian and researcher of some renown.In the latest issue, the work of the late David Jones appears on p41. David Jones was an illustrator of some distinction, as the drawings above demonstrate. The interest of the esteemed editor in that early group of Sevens was acknowledged by himself, having recently shown us all his correspondence getting his hands on reg no OK7095. We have come to learn a great deal about this machine, but still have yet to learn where it is, and who intends to bring it to Shelsley and to Prescott via Morton in Marsh
I disclaim all of Mr Kay's comments regarding the Editor of the LCES....

Phil Jones is a regular photographer at VSCC meetings and the like and he always sends me photographs for use in the Journal.His late brother, David, was an artist of some local repute and earned a living as a technical illustrator.  He died some years ago. Phil has been sorting out David’s things including a lot of drawings and art work (though not all of it is car related) and has been trying to find homes for them.  He passed some of them on to me to use in the LCES Journal and then dispose of as I saw fit and this A7 'racer' drawing was amongst them…..

Now… what does intrigue me is that this drawing was produced in the early 1960s.  So how did David get the information to make such an accurate drawing? Surely at that time there was little in the way of published information on these early ‘racers’…….

The original drawing has been offered to Hugh for the Archive………
I make no apologies for reproducing this photo again as I think this, and the 2 others of the sister cars in the 1923 Le Mans race are quite superb. Thic car matches Mike's 'Teaser' drawing perfectly - the other 2 cars are clearly diferent in detail. It does make you wonder, as Mike says, where the original information might have come from. These photos were only acquired by the Archive some 3 years ago.

I am very happy to accept Mike's kind offer of donation to the Archive

I was going to ask Steve if this was the same source as those excellent Works car pictures which were posted on 'ere a while ago?
Re. where the engineering detail has come from here, is that inlet/exhaust arrangement as expected, or are there other such areas which are new to understanding/unphotographed?
What is the air brake below the drivers elbow? And th appendage dangling underneath? I have a large floppy rubber crankacse breather on my Hillman, a relic of significant blow by for 30 years. A colleague describes at as an elephants's willy.
(31-12-2021, 11:32 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: What is the air brake below the drivers elbow? And th appendage dangling underneath? I have a large floppy rubber crankacse breather on my Hillman, a relic of significant blow by for 30 years. A colleague describes at as an elephants's willy.

One of them is definitely a horn as far as I can tell... but which one?

.jpg   Screenshot_20211231-233108_Samsung Internet.jpg (Size: 117.34 KB / Downloads: 197)