The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighting configuration on Austin 7 special
I am currently restoring a Austin7 long wheelbase with a RTC special body that utilises a chummy sized radiator cowl. The front wheel guards are motor bike style and move with the wheels. I don't want a proliferation of lights. So I have seen specials with the side lights fitted to the mud guards. If I get these to be both side light and indicators is this legal in that they will move with wheel movement? The headlights I intend to fit to the side of the radiator cowl.
Any help with tidy looking fixings for this configuration of lights would be appreciated, and also ideas for neatly securing similar mudguards to the bodywork adjacent to the rear wheels.
In my experience (of MSVA & SVA) there is no problem with turning guards having side/indicator lamps fitted to them. The major problem I found with both the cars I built using them is that the weight of the lamps adds considerably to the vibration of the mudguard stays and all that bouncing will lead to vibro-fracture of the stays. I lost count of the times I've had to do a jury-rig repair at the roadside and limp to a garage to get some welding. Always happens late afternoon in the middle of nowhere!
I tried all sorts, tubular, flat strip and angle section and eventually gave up and mounted them somewhere that was less prone to vibration. It also puts a fair amount of stress on the ali guards which happily fracture through the lamp mounting holes. ClassicDynamorebuilds (no connection but satisfied customer) do a l.e.d. combination side/indicator which should fit in a torpedo style body so you can reduce the number of fittings. I fitted these in the headlamp shell of my most recent build so there is only one lamp at the front. A couple of discreet repeaters on the side of the body ensures you can be seen indicating at junctions
I suspect your bulbs won't last long, either! Why not mount the sidelamps on the scuttle - the wiring will be simpler, and think of all that weight you'll save!
if your headlights are wide enough apart, is there also not the option of having reflectors with pilot holes that could utilise a combination bulb indicator and side.
There is also electronickery that can give you brake, rear and indicator in the same bulb at the rear... although seeing someone's use of lighting through a translucent period (rubber) reflector unit looked good.
Ian, on my Marine tourer special I have mudguard mounted side/indicator lights with leds. In the headlights I also have amber indicator bulbs instead of the normal reflector mounted sidelights , also leds. The mudguards are cycle type that are body mounted and don't turn. At the rear the tail lights have twin filament leds for side/indicators/brake lights, controlled by a series of relays. A central rear light is also a tail/ brake/rear fog light  also led and controlled by a relay. I'll put a circuit diagram for the front/rear/indicator/brake control for your entertainment.One thing to remember is the front sidelamp fittings in the m'guards do reduce the available suspension movement.
.jpg   114a.jpg (Size: 30.14 KB / Downloads: 346)            
Those guards look awfully Low Peter, how many inches clearance do you have? Are having any problems with the wheels hitting them over bumps, especially two up?
Black Art Enthusiast
They are close Ian and do on rare occasions make contact , but during normal driving two up none at all. I may be fitting different wheels in the future and will adjust/ raise mountings if required at that point.
Interesting bodywork there Peter, I'd love to see more pics of it....
How often do you scrape the barnacles off it? Big Grin
Ian,
Suggest you check out the Construction and Use regs. I think a Google search will take you to a Gov web site or similar. The regs clearly set out lighting requirements for all ages of cars running on UK roads. Requirements will be as per the date of your car, e.g, 1936 or whatever your V5 date is.
You can also check out number plate regs in a similar way.

As DG has experienced with backplate mounted mud guards any additional weight will add to vibration and fatigue issues.