The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder Wear Book - Forward by Lord Austin
This is on ebay at the moment - I've no connection to the seller.  Forward has a shaky 'Austin' printed signature.  Book is dated 1940.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393809657065?...Swov5hrlOs

(And there is second copy.)
If anyone can find a copy in a University library or such a summary may be of interest. In the 1920s Ricardo suspected that corrosion largely caused the wear near tdc, and when a larg aux marine engine tossed its barrel assembly he noted a rust ring formed very rapidly. The momentary lack of motion also a factor; sleeve valve engines evaded the step wear. A lot of research was done in the early 50s using radioactive rings.. The advantage of hot jacket temp, chrome rings and of anti acid oils was established. Once warmed up wear was almost nil. Unfortuantely our local university has dumped all their material. Incredibly on moderns, despite the cyl pressures, wear is so insignificant that the honing marks often remain after scores of thousands of miles.
This what the forward says...

Attached Files
.jpg   Forward to 1940 Cylinder Wear Book.jpg (Size: 100.57 KB / Downloads: 169)
Thanks Colin
Tantalising comments. It had been observed that overcooled engines as in boats wore rapidly and that cars noted for overheating the opposite. Doctor's  cars used for home calls when thay were so brave, were notorious for wear. 
The trend has been to narrow rings, in part because less prone to scuffing. Warming an engine by idling was the fashion  until it was realised that better to drive  away at sensible loading and revs.
Cyls generally wear on the thrust side but as the ring pressure is the same all around seems curious. I suspect more due to fuel wash as valves usually on the other side (UK cars), and the squeezed out oil film. I have encountered exceptions.
My Seven had been rebored at 40,000 and 60,000 later in the mid 50s was .010 taper. Many short runs (and long ones). Into the 50s many smaller cars were rebored somtime in life. Then counter acid oils and anti wear additives became established.