The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2SYN 4 speed cog counting
Is there an easy way of checking a four speed 2SYN box to check that its ratios are definitely standard?
It has no 'S' marks, but it's a box which was sparkly clean, came with a nicely shortened lever, and whilst its not on a car so I cant do the wheel revolutions thing, it would be nice to determine if it's ever had anything changed internally. There is a good diagram in the PWA7C book for the 3 speed cogs, but I cant find one for the 4...
It is far easier to count the ratio direct than disentangle from the diff ratio. 1, 1.66, 2.64, 4.37.
From these ratios can deduce the equivalent of whatever considered prudent in top. The 3rd gear is much as 2nd of powerful 3 speed cars. Just 30 in 3rd is equiv 50 in top hence the din.
can't select the gears just with the stub, hence wondering about what cogs once could see.
I'll see if I can make an extension attachment for the lever to give a bit more leverage.
Sockets & long extensions work well as temporary gear levers
It is simple to select gears with the top removed, using a stout screwdiver on the selectors. Fit a clutch centre plate into splines, mark the centre plate and rear flange to determine ratios,by counting revolutions.
thankyou John - that is extremely helpful. (All those readily at hand and yet the brain doesn't engage when one hasn't done it before).
I had a lever break when I was out once long ago; a Mole wrench got me home enabling selection of all the gears.
Be careful attempting to engage gears with the interlock plate removed. May risk synchro balls popping out.
Nothing worse that your balls popping out Big Grin
(24-12-2021, 09:28 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Be careful attempting to engage gears with the interlock plate removed. May risk synchro balls popping out.

that was useful thanks - didnt realise that thing wasn't attached. Used Robert's molegrips too and that gave just enough leverage.
Found a clutch plate and marked that and the output.
Easiest was placing in3rd and relying on 5 turns divided by 1.66 ratio equals nigh on 3 turns of the output.
So, standard gearing!