The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refurbishing distributor caps
Hi All

I’ve spent an hour or so in the garage today escaping from Christmas preparation duties.  In that time I’ve fully dismantled a DJ4 distributor and after the bits were cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner I’m ready to reassemble.

I was fully prepared to buy a new cap but I have about three that look in quite good shape so two of them went in the cleaner and have come out clean but with a matt finish. I guess I’ll have to wait until they are on the car to be sure they work.

However any hints tips etc on how to bring them back to their shiny original condition without ruining the electrical insulation properties?

Cheers

Howard
Try some spray body laquer use a petrol resistent one.
If you want to be period use some shellac.
Ignition Sealer like we used to use to seal ignition systems back in road rally days. Used to be made by Holts but not any more, this is similar:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165006082630?...342817ee7d

I still have an old can of the Holts product and I've used it in the past to do exactly what you're looking to do to a DJ4 cap.

Steve
Thanks Dickie and Steve

I hadn’t thought about shellac but Steve’s solution seems good too.

Have a great Christmas 

Cheers

Howard
Just to point out, there are two very different products to do this job, with different advantages and disadvantages. Holts made Wet Start and also made Damp Start. Other firms use various names for the two products.

One is a varnish type product that needs a very clean surface to grip to. Often it cracks and peels, letting water in the cracks and never drying out. It might last a number of years, but once cracked and peeling it is difficult to do again.

The other product is an oily, waxy water dispersant. WD40 is the most common, but there are others. Duck oil works well. Spraying on top of dirt and water doesn't matter. Even putting it on cracks usually works fine. It can easily be washed off with petrol if you want to clean it off and start again. Disadvantage is that it might need re-doing from time to time.

Hope this helps.
I'm intrigued as to whether this stuff is actually needed for Howard's, or whether it's just for getting the appearance back? Would the satin not just come back through use and handling?
I noticed the visual effect of cleaning on seeing some sort of blast cleaned crankcase. It looked quite different to the feeling of a 90 year old crankcase that has just been cleaned down with diesel, showing all the remarkable surface detail of how the mould was formed; bits of wood and screw heads and stuff.
Hi All

Thanks for all the input and private messages.

I put two caps through the ultrasound cleaner and this morning I’ve spent a half hour polishing one with T cut.  Here is the result.

.jpeg   57442BBD-51D0-468C-A1FE-85994B6DC2CE.jpeg (Size: 85.53 KB / Downloads: 267)

The T cut one on the left is more than acceptable as it is, but I may give it a spray with WD40 as Andrew suggests. 

I’ll have to wait until New Year to test the cap as I need points and condenser from the Cherished suppliers to complete the job. 

Jon…The need to clean up the caps was partly cosmetic but I also wanted to check for cracks and tracking marks.  Both these caps were really manky when I started.

Cheers

Howard
Jon

agree with respect to crankcases. The blast cleaned jobbies are horrible when compared to an unmolested one. Ive just cleaned the spare here with some worn scotchbright and some white spirit. It came out very well.
I avoid WD40 like the plague on ignition systems. I was told that it eventually becomes hygroscopic and together with dust this makes for perpetual problems...

I always think of a Swallow owner who had broken down beside the Ripon relief road on his way to Newby Hall about 10 or so years ago, before I had an Austin. Of course I stopped in the Pembleton to offer assistance, as did a pal with a 2CV who was passing in the other direction. The owner had some woodwork tools and a can of WD40 as his roadside repairs kit and was trying to spray the contact breaker screw back into the base plate with the trusty can of WD...
Yes, we got it going and he was delighted as it had "been running a bit rough all the way" from somewhere down South.
(23-12-2021, 07:08 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I avoid WD40 like the plague on ignition systems. I was told that it eventually becomes hygroscopic and together with dust this makes for perpetual problems...

Couldn't agree more, Duncan. In the long term, the last thing you need near an ignition system but, it seems, others know better so you pays your money and you takes your choice Wink

Steve