The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not A7, but...
As this is a thing of engineering joy I hope I may be forgiven for posting it. Make a cuppa and spend 20mins watching. The spirit of Fred Dibnah lives on...

https://youtu.be/03Kb5r7MHXE
Magnificent!
Interesting however, I note he only drove it in a straight line cornering might prove interesting with such a long wheelbase and the hefty castor angle.
LOL dave, notice it isn't road registered!
The Rushcombe gentleman's steam bicycle looks to be more practical.
Totally impractical but who cares, I think it's fantastic!
The world is a better place for people like this.
And the chimney makes a great 'absorbing crumple zone' in case of any head on collisions, providing you don't get a jet of steam up your jacksie on the way forward.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I love the concept, and it works. However it'll never get registered because there's no way a single band brake on the rear wheel will ever get past a tester, and the open run on the drive chain on the nearside could deprive the unwary of their crown jewels (the H&S police would have a field day).

Be nice to see just exactly how fast it could go on a test track though, just for the sheer hell of it. Get Guy Martin to give it a go! Yee-ha!
I kept thinking of ways to send the exhaust behind, rather than in front of, the driver. Could it be done?

(I have secretly always wanted to take an early steam car on the London to Brighton run!)
Yes it could be done, but he would need permanent forced draught for the fire, rather than the natural draught he has when stationary (he has forced draught from the steam exhaust when the engine is running - basically it what is sometimes called a puffer)