The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine to frame clearance issue
Hi Steve and Matt

Eddie Loader wrote a short article for Y Saith (The South Wales club newsletter). I’ve tried to cut and paste it but it comes out ridiculously small.  However here is the photo from the article which is pretty self explanatory. Unlike Steve’s solution the reinforcement is in strips rather than a single plate.

.jpeg   F61FCD5F-3D71-470E-967D-6CD6E69FDEB8.jpeg (Size: 77.05 KB / Downloads: 386)

Cheers

Howard

PS I’m not a fan of studs to attach the sump. I often need to slide the sump pan back and forth to break the seal. Not possible with studs!
This is a bit of an aside, but I notice your new original engine is missing the dowel pin for the starter cover/mount. It does help keep that bit well seated.

Erich in Mukilteo
Thanks for noticing Eric. There are still a few pieces to be put back on and that would be one of them. This engine has been a long drawn out rebuild so it will be a big day when its gets fired up for the first time.
Cheers,
Stephen
As an aside I was under 2 of my cars last night. One has studs on the sump, one the Austin bolts.

On the Nov 30 saloon, which has cut outs in the chassis the sump would come off easy peasy even if it had studs (and it doesnt!).

On the April 34 Saloon, which also has cut outs in the chassis, the sump wont come off with the studs (and it has them!). That engine will be out next week however.

I guess the reason Austins added (or rather removed) the cut out was to enable easy sump removal. Any comments?

The 34 car is of course a 4 speed with the bulk of the engine sitting 3/4 of an inch or so further forward in the chassis than the 3 speed cars. So the cut outs were of no practical use after the 4speed box came in with the revised crankcase.
Thanks for this bit of information Hedd. I guess if I find that after I've done the modification to the frame and the sump won't come off with the studs, I'll have ti change it back to bolts. I'm hoping not. I'll report my findings one I've made the mod and the engine has been dropped back in.

Stephen
UPDATE

I've done the modification to the frame's inner lips and it is a complete success.
The engine sits properly in the frame with plenty of room at the front.  I am able to take the sump off with no problems at all. It actually fell off onto my head when I undid the nuts, so there is absolutely no issues with sump removal, or replacement.  I would recommend this modification as a way to ease the clearance issue for sump removal etc. If this kind of alteration doesn't bother you too much.
Merry Christmas,
Stephen

That's a good practical solution Steve, engine & chassis now work together & you can crack on with the rest of it.

Aye
Greig
I've never seen a part number on a cow horn. Crikey

Its worth noting this mod wont do anything for you if you have a front facing starter crankcase (i.e a 4 speed case). The sump overhangs the nose casting as the bulk of the engine sits further forward in the chassis
Beautiful finish on sump and crankcase. Job well done. 
Graham.
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. Spending time trying to get everything sorted so I can start the build of the van body. Its been a long time coming but am looking forward to it.
Cheers.
Stephen