The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficulty Setting Up Ruby Steering Box
I am reassembling my Ruby steering box after stripping and cleaning it, but I am having trouble adjusting it so that it turns smoothly. I must be doing something wrong, but I am not sure what. Any suggestions?

This is what I have done so far:

With the gear wheel bolted to the arm and assembled on the outer cover, I fitted the cover to the box to check for end play on the arm. I had the gasket in place and tightened the nuts to 8lbft. The arm turned freely without end play.

I removed the outer cover and screwed the column into the box, ensuring that it turned smoothly without any end play.

I then bolted the outer cover back on again to 8lbft, ensuring the cover was slid as far back as possible to give the greatest initial clearance.

As soon as I bolt the cover up with the column in place, it becomes impossible to turn the column. I have the steering wheel attached to ensure that I have adequate leverage. 

Everything is greased.

Can anyone shed any light on what I have done?

Regards,

Jamie.
Is the steering wheel binding on the column outer tube?  Loosen the steering wheel and see if it turns.
Well, I am even more confused now. I have dismantled the box again and fitted just the cover. Even though it was loose last night, it now binds solidly. I have removed the only shim which is behind the stud, but it made no apparent difference. Clearly, something is amiss and I need to look more carefully.

Regards , 

James.
Jamie
It is worth a look at the Cornwall site steering box some detail on there
Sorry if you already seen this
Regards
Tim
Thank you, Tim. That is useful.
You have remembered the gasket - assuming you are using one?

Am I right in thinking the cover studs have flats on them?   If so, and they were not lined up, the cover could have rested on them the first time, so giving a false impression.
Thank you for all of the suggestions. A friend who does a lot of work on Sevens had a look at it last night as well. He fiddled about with it for quite a while and whilst the arm now rotates smoothly again, we never did find out what was the actual cause of the problem.

It is really odd as the box moved smoothly before I dismantled it and when I assembled it without the worm gear. Still, all seems well now and it can join the other mysteries of life, such as the Bermuda Triangle.

Regards,

Jamie.