The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tap
Since my car arrived in the US over Christmas, the fuel tap(fuel is drained) has become very stiff. I''ve ordered a spare. However, is there a way to fix a stiff tap? Likely the seals have dried out. Will fuel correct this or perhaps silicone grease? I don't want to find out that a solution didn't work, as the tap is in the foot well above the starter.

Erich in Seattle
(15-01-2018, 08:32 PM)Erich Wrote: Since my car arrived in the US over Christmas, the fuel tap(fuel is drained) has become very stiff. I''ve ordered a spare. However, is there a way to fix a stiff tap? Likely the seals have dried out. Will fuel correct this or perhaps silicone grease? I don't want to find out that a solution didn't work, as the tap is in the foot well above the starter.

Erich in Seattle

I Piper Cubs etc there has been a long history of adding some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel to lubricate the brass taps.  Might be a good plan for an A7, too.
I have a very old tube of Hermatite Gold - this works very well for this problem.

The only issue today is locating Hermatite Gold...
Ruairidh, I think I may have some Golden Hermatite somewhere deeply buried. However, I'm looking for something that will lubricate the inner seal(so I don't bend or break the lever) rather than a product to seal the tap. I thought silicone grease as it isn't known to affect rubber, as far as I know.

Erich in Seattle
I dismantle the tap and put Gold Hermatite on the tap, then reassemble. Tap operates smoothly with no leaks.

If you have a source for Gold Hermatite please let me know.