The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just every now and then...
Whilst working on Archive materials, I occasionaly come across something that makes a connection to someone back when the item was in their hands or on their desk. At the moment, I am working through the backlog of brochures that the Archive has acquired over the past few months as a period of respite(!) from the Centenary planning. Yesterday, when scanning a new 'Van' brochure, this appeared. I really rather love it..

I wonder what Ford., Ts here at that time had very low scrap value. Seems unlikely they would have given a large discount plus an inflated trade in price. Maybe it was an A, the tax even on the disembowelled UK model would have discouraged use.
I would think that £10 for a Model T could well be close to scrap value; typically a Seven would be around £4-£5 as scrap.
I guess scrap fetched more in UK as could be recycled locally. Into the 70s many car bodies here were simply buried. I towed a stripped Javelin to the (free!!) tip by inserting a big 7 chassis rail up the drive tunnel and pinning it the towbar of my everyday Javelin. A brake adjuster fell out and wedged a rear wheel so I had to spend an awkwrd and very visible quarter hour on the roadsise unsorting. In those days were allowed to tow anything "for repair." ( stock car fans used to tow cars 100 miles Wellington to Palmerston and the battered wrecks back again the same night!)