The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Uniburr thread recovery tool...
(15-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Do you have experience of using the tool Zeto?

It looks to be most useful,

I don't have experience of it,I can see it is a nice tool, ideal for making a nice end after shortening a bolt or stud.Its like a countersink in reverse, I also like those for deburring drilled holes

(15-01-2018, 09:18 PM)Rob Beck Wrote: THREAD FILE

These are very good. Ideal for axle ends and hub puller threads. 

R

Rob, thanks for the link, been meaning to get a new one for some while, had present one about 35 Years and just bought one via the link.
Best Wishes
I think it could be very useful - a lot of good stuff like this seems to come out of America.

I carry an imperial thread file in all my cars, they have gotten me out of a hole on several occasions - but this tool does something different and yes, thread recovery was the wrong phrase but I like how bruised threads appear to be saved using it, hence my usage.
It seems very expensive for what it is. If the cutting edges are just hardened steel i would guess that longevity would be suspect, either that or rapid wear or brittleness might result. I think you would have to be very careful using it in a hand held situation. Personally i will stick with a thread file and/or a die.
The reviews on Amazon are very mixed...

Still hoping someone may have first hand experience.
Apparently this tool exists in two forms, the UNIBURR (part n° 1819) and the UNIBURR + (part n° 1816). The former is only suitable for mild steel, whilst the latter claims to be OK for hardened studs and stainless. The recommendation is that a very slow speed be used with pressure. The advert shows it as suitable for square bar but I am sceptical. The Amazon reviews seem about right.

It will be a very expensive experience if it turns out to be a load of tat. Caveat emptor.
Hi All, I've ordered one of the 1816 versions. When I get it I will post my results.

Erich
(15-01-2018, 09:52 PM)Zetomagneto Wrote:
(15-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Do you have experience of using the tool Zeto?

It looks to be most useful,

I don't have experience of it,I can see it is a nice tool, ideal for making a nice end after shortening a bolt or stud.Its like a countersink in reverse, I also like those for deburring drilled holes

(15-01-2018, 09:18 PM)Rob Beck Wrote: THREAD FILE

These are very good. Ideal for axle ends and hub puller threads. 

R

Rob, thanks for the link, been meaning to get a new one for some while, had present one about 35 Years and just bought one via the link.
Best Wishes

I think the thread restoring file much more useful.Can't see the uniburr lasting very long on HT bolts.
I am interested to hear about your experience with it Erich.
I've done a bit more research and there seem to be a couple of others with the same essential design. There also maybe bootleg versions which could explain the poor reviews. I'm not buying on ebay or Amazon for these, but going through Tacoma Screw Products. Hopefully that means I'll get the real deal.

Erich
(18-01-2018, 10:39 PM)Erich Wrote: Hi All, I've ordered one of the 1816 versions. When I get it I will post my results.

Erich

Anything to report back on yet Erich?