The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition lamp resistor
Please can someone advise the resistance value of the wire wound resistor used for ignition lights. I assume that this would be the same on the SM5 round switch panel as it is on the later ignition lamp fitted to late RNs onward. I have previously shorted the resistor position and used a 12v mes instrument lighting lamp (lowest wattage I could find), which is very satisfactory, but I want to advise a purist.

Robert Leigh
On my RP I used a 27ohm 0.6watt resistor , the lamp is a 2.5 volt 0.2 amp on a 6 volt system. the current rating is important. This should work on the RN switch panel. This mod has worked for me since 1971. If using 12 volt system try a 47 ohm resistor. As far as I can tell Lucas used the 2.5 0.2 lamp as no 6volt or 12 volt lamps were made in the 1930s.of the correct current rating.
(15-01-2018, 06:04 PM)Bill Dixon Wrote: On my RP I used a 27ohm 0.6watt resistor , the lamp is a 2.5 volt 0.2 amp on a 6 volt system. the current rating is important. This should work on the RN switch panel. This mod has worked for me since 1971. If using 12 volt system try a 47 ohm resistor. As far as I can tell Lucas used the 2.5 0.2 lamp as no 6volt or 12 volt lamps were made in the 1930s.of the correct current rating.

My Lucas SM5 panels are fitted with 6 volt 3 watt MES ignition lamps.

Cheers, Tony.