The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
Steve. YOU WISH!! Unfortunately, most journalists these days go no further than the internet to read up what other equally lazy journalists have written. They then crib from articles that are also full of inaccuracies and give their Editor some cobbled together drivel for publication.
And if they get only one spelling mistake in your name count yourself lucky. I've been listed as Donald Greenwood, David Grimwood and Daniel Greentree. I suppose they deserve credit for getting the initials correct...
Maybe it is covered above but I have not read all. Nowadays everything is "impacted." I suppose it avoids figuring out the difference between affected and effected. 
A few years ago there was an excellent clip doing the rounds of some Irish comic sending up then current corporation speak. Someone may have  a Youtube ref.
The mononotous use of 'at pace' meaning quickly or as quickly as possible, by our polititians when being interviewd on tv and radio.
Yes regarding impact! The verb is ‘impinge’ I believe and the result in an impact…
Further, I heard this morning that non- French visitors were not to be allowed to ‘enter into’ the country. The into is redundant as to enter is to ‘go in’, why say ‘go in into’ unless you are ‘entering into a bargain’ with the devil?
Eeh, I used to be big-headed but now I’m perfect?

And how can something be ‘more unique’? It’s either unique or it isn’t!!!
Seems that every Tory minister or spokesperson in recent weeks has adopted the phrase 'proportionate and balanced', or 'proportionate' and any other adjective of choice. Do you think they are able to explain exactly what they mean, or am I being pedantic?
In current useage it is true to say that both my father's persona and the car were impacted when the steering broke (although neither seriously). An overworked word here is equitable, artfully inferred to mean equality of outcome and taken to mean that by many, thereby leading to clamour for and granting of very favoured treatment for certain groups. The simple word fair is too transparent and would lead to questioning.