The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exciting news for Cambridge owners.
I don’t think anything has changed regarding Austin 7 eligibility in the VSCC. Cambridge and similar specials have been accepted for a long time provided the body is “traditional”. Fibreglass has been banned for at least 30 years, so unless that changes, Ashleys are still out. The VSCC are trying to move forwards. Why not give them a bit of slack and see what happens. You might end up being pleasantly surprised.
Alan Fairless
The Newsletter announcement specifically mentions Turner in their list of suitably eligible cars, so they'll find it hard to justify turning down other fibreglass-bodied cars purely on the body material; like-wise Dellow and Lotus should let in other Ford-engined cars so where does that leave the Club regarding Ford-engined pre-war specials?
Are fibreglass mudguards allowed?I remember seeing at least one vintage Frazer Nash with these in the 60's and 70's.
Dave, back then fibreglass was quite acceptable; there was the Archdale Frazer Nash which had a fibreglass body, and Stephen competed with the Gould Ulster for several years with no hassle. I think the ban came around 1980.
Rubies are certainly not OK'd, indeed at the zoomed VSCC AGM a senior person was distinctly rude about them, though Standard saloons as well. Mike raises an interesting issue about Fords, and Ford engines. F4 Morgans, even with pre war competition history,  remain ineligible, as do J2 MGs fitted with 1172 engines pre or shortly post WW2. Pre war Ford saloons seem excluded, despite the number of saloons and coupes taking part in the Colmore,  London-Gloucester or similar trials. Ford flat head V8s  are OK in a Jensen or Allard however. 

The whole process has lead to serious reservations, reservations about the voting procedure which effectively excluded VSCC members choosing not to have computers, or those living in parts of the country outwith broadband provision.  If one ignores the interesting requirements for specials, they are 43 production cars now considered to be eligible. There are reservations about the name of a club wishing still to be for Vintage cars, but which embraces an MGA or Bristol 404, whilst excluding examples of Ford V8s similar to Lord Avebury's or Standard Saloons the same model as Mrs Vaughan's. If anyone can produce photos of a Porsche or a Maserati on Nailsworth Ladder or going up Bluehills, then I will buy them many more than one pint of beer at Donnington Brewery next July!

Claims have been made that the revised eligibility regulations will make greatly increased membership possible to owners of newly admitted cars. Perhaps times have changed, but I would have thought that the young and hungry motorist wanting to start competition in an old car will find their budget running to a Model Y Ford or a Seven, or  a Jowett saloon  rather than a Kieft, a Swallow Doretti or a Mercedes. 

An Austin Seven was put up Shelsley on 29th July 1922, some years  before a group of Austin Seven owners had a meeting in the Phoenix, Hartley Wintney. The entry list for the next Clee Hills Trial includes Austin Sevens, and Austin Seven owners in other vehicles. The Seven has been an integral part of sport, and will remain so. Owners of posher cars can be as rude as they like about my Ruby, I will always be very polite to them in pub car parks after Inter-Reg rallies and PWA7C events.
(27-11-2021, 06:35 PM)Steve kay Wrote: ...Claims have been made that the revised eligibility regulations will make greatly increased membership possible to owners of newly admitted cars... 

Personally I think the revisions will have little effect on membership: all it's going to do is allow present members to compete with their other cars. I don't see the VSCC offering much that the Triumph/MG/Austin Healey owner doesn't already have with their existing club memberships. It certainly isn't going to encourage the younger enthusiast who is more likely to be able to afford £10k for a small Vintage car rather than a minimum of £20k for a 'fifties sports car.
You have put your finger on what worries those remaining in the VSCC. Individual marques already have large and active clubs, and for competitors the HSCC runs lots of events. What does VSCC have to offer?
I'm not sure what a discussion about eligibility of post-war cars within the VSCC is doing on our forum!
I think the thread may have drifted a bit David but as far as A7's in all their guises go surely the VSCC would attract more members if they opened up eligibility to post war specials with pre war A7 chassis than trying to accomodate pure post war stuff which is already well catered for. This seems to me to be an open door to A7 Special enthusiasts but the VSCC in their wisdom have not had the balls to do this.
The VSCC already allows post war A7 specials as long as they fall within the guide lines of the club.
( A lot of the specials in the club are post 1960 build)
If your special is outside the guide lines there are the PWA7 club events or any local motorclub events.
I have entered my Austin as a bike engined car in one event just to take part, I did a faster time than a 1960s AC Cobra in the wet.