The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Austin 7 high and dry?
(18-11-2021, 08:55 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: In the 1960s car windscreens weren't glued in place like they are today, and would easily push out of the rubber. Not much chance of that with a modern. The glued in windscreen gives a considerable degree of stiffness and strength to the structure.

I think modern screens are quite thin and easily smashed. When he comes to fit me a new one in the modern on Tuesday I wonder if he'll let me kick the old one out. I can ask.
I think you'll find it quite hard to do with laminated glass. The glue used is very strong. Windscreen people remove a broken one with something akin to a cheese cutter.
Hallo, is that Richardson Hosken? 

Ah good, I wonder if you can spare one of your chaps to come and help me with my husband's Austin Seven because it won't start. 

Oh you can, that's great. I think it is water in the carburettor.

Why do I think that? Well, it IS in the river... yes, the car.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
i don't think any amount of pushing on a windscreen from inside will get it out if in an emergency and the chances of you managing to get your feet up there anyway are low.

My wife once got stuck in a flash flood (only a few inches deep) in a 6 week old 206. 4x4 came other way didn't slow and caused bow wave, engine stalled as air intake was low behind the bumper and it burst into flames in seconds. Luckily she could open the door but car burnt out in minutes.
We now carry these in our moderns:
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/emergency-escape-hammers/

Plan of course is to never need it, or hope that if you do then you are conscious, but for a few quid...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!