The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse
Just a small question, {don't laught!} This evening was the first time I reversed my car. I had a small move around, took the boat out of the garage, parked the Ruby in the garage and put the boat on the drive. My question is... I put the car in gear and tried to reverse, there was like a rasping noise and it felt like I had the brakes on and there was alot of juddering. I did back her out onto the road but the car didn't like it at all and I'm quite gutted as this is something elce to add to the ever growing list of repairs. I can push the car back with ease.
Now she is in the garage so I can start working on her..Doug Woodrow's manual with any luck is winging its way to me as we speak.
slightly miffed...
Could all be to do with the brakes which you have to deal with anyway so don't be too disheartened. Give the suspension and steering bushes an overhaul, rebuild the brakes with good linings (see threads here about the compounds) ensure that the cams, pivots and shoe return springs are all unworn, check the brake cross shaft is free and the bushes not completely slogged out. New cross shaft bushes can be made easily from Zinc sheet. Sounds a lot but in reality not going to take that long, you will need a couple of reamers to fit the new shackle, king pin and brake bushes, Tracy tools are a good source. With all this completed you should find the car pleasant enough to drive.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thank Ian
I was thinking that it might be something major.
!st thing I think is to jack her up and give everything a good clean so I can see whats what. While I wait for my manual to arrive.
With worn bushes etc at the front the axle can move around. When reversing there's a tendency for the front axle to move forward which tightens the front brake cable and hence applies the brakes. That leads to juddering.
Once everything is sound juddering in reverse will not be an issue though it may not go completely, especially if the steering isn't in the straight ahead.
Jim
Odd things can happen in reverse, even with cars in good condition.

Often, they "bunny hop" badly, it takes practice to get around this.

One car, I often have to reverse, to un-jam the rear brakes on first using them on a journey..   (I must fix this, soon.)

Not only can the front brakes come on in reverse, they may apply themselves when the front wheels are on full lock.

Sounds dreadful, doesn't it, compared to the bland nothingness of your average modern car.

Driving a Seven makes the shortest trip - out and into your garage - interesting. Smile
One thing about this forum is that owners are very happy to give you help. advice and encouragement in sorting your problems.Don't despair and work through one thing at a time.
Try and get in touch with other owners in the area,which there are many ( I used to be one of them).
The Pre War Austin Seven Club started in Derby almost 60 years ago.
Don't expect a 7 to drive like a modern.it won't but it i'll give you lots of fun if you persevere with it.After all it was designed almost 100 years ago !
Sound advice, Austin in the shed.
When I bought the car it was described as a good runner.. The engine sounds great! So thats a plus.
I've managed to find all my King dick spanners ! So i'm off to a good start..
I've joined the A7PWC and just waiting for my membership things to arrive..The chaps on here are just fantasitc.
Thanks again
Regards
Colin
Hi Colin

If I can add my twopence worth.

Hopping in reverse can be caused by the torque tube bracket being loose either on the chassis pin or on the torque tube adjusting collar (although the latter is more unlikely). Both are relatively simple fixes and well documented on the forum.

As others have commented brake binding is a problem. Often more likely if the shoes are loose on the pivot pin (again less likely if you have semi Girling brakes).

I find that slipping the clutch is rarely that successful when reversing and I try to get going with the foot off the clutch as soon as possible but this is best done when you know there is nothing behind. Reversing into a garage is best done by pushing unless you’re on a slope  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
Drivers accustomed to the high and hard brake pedal of later vehicles  strive to adjust thier Sevens similar. but with every mousepower vital and its possible dire effect on rversing, sharp turn maneouveing etc it is preferable to maintain generous free travel in Sevens.