The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering problem
On Saturday I jacked the front of the RL saloon up to check the brakes.  These were found to be spot on and not in need of any attention.  The track rod ends have far too much up and down play so that is a job to do.   Whilst the front end was up on axle stands, I checked the steering for play. very nice in the straight ahead position but some tightness at half lock each way.  I noticed that the steering wheel was a bit wobbly and found that the retaining nut was loose, such that it could be turned by hand.  Simple fix, tighten the nut.   Having done this, with the nut only slightly tight, I found that the steering box was locked solid and the steering wheel could not be turned.   Slackened the nut and the steering wheel turned okay.   Thinking that the wheel was binding on the outer tube of the steering column, I wondered if the column had become unscrewed somehow, thereby lengthening the outer tube relative to the steering wheel.   I undid the clamp at the steering box and the locating peg only to find that the column was firmly screwed in and had not moved.  I was unable to turn the column either way.
Next thing I did was to loosen the three nuts on the side of the box to see if it was anything to do with the mesh of the gears, no difference.
My next plan is to take out the stator tube complete with the advance/retard and 'gas' levers so that I can remove the steering wheel.  This is not as simple as it sounds as I had to do it years ago when I replaced the steering box.  The job would be straightforward if the car had its original sunroof but from memory you have to loosen the box in order to fully withdraw the control tubes .
Before I start and submit my neighbours to a barage of swearing  I wondered if any forum members have any ideas as to what is going on?
Had a similar problem when we used to trial.Found the column where it attaches to the worm had become loose and tightened the steering up.
Don't know how much you know about the columns so will assume zero.
Was the outer column just about screwed all the way in? 
The screwing in and out adjusts the end float of the inner column (BM182) against its thrust washer (BM41) so a small amount of play up and down pulling on the steering wheel could be detected.....but this may be difficult due to heavy grease in the box.
Turning the wheel will cause a force by the worm on the steering worm wheel (BM32) which will push the inner column up or down. 
It may be that the outer column was not screwed in far enough and end float set up when fitted so as you say it is too far out (therefore longer) and causing locking of steering wheel as it touches outer.  Or maybe too thick a thrust washer was fitted or an extra thrust washer put in to take up wear so giving same problem of outer column too far out of box.
Also similarly has someone fitted a longer outer, cut down but not quite far enough giving same too long symptom.
Has the steering wheel nut been tightened with too much force in the past so pushing the steering wheel splines down into the end of the inner column....the bit just after where splines stop and inner column diameter starts so that wheel is now against outer column when nut done up?
Depending on all above factors there is not very much movement with in and out screwing of outer between too far in or too far out.
The worm is a push fit over splines on the inner....an interference fit. 

Dennis
As you'll imagine, Malcolm and I have talked about this today. The car is one that he uses regularly and has done for many years. If the problem was the set up of the box it's reasonable it would have manifested itself long before now. The concensus at the moment is that the steering wheel nut has been over tightened at some time and, now tightened, the wheel is up against the outer column.

Steve
If overtightened nut was problem then do nut up till just before any freedom is lost then continue to tighten till loss of movement and count amount of turn(s).  Using the TPI (threads per inch)  on the inner column you can then determine the amount of movement of the wheel down the column and that amount, or just a little more can be taken off the top of the outer column so wheel no longer touches.

Dennis
A cir-clip in the recess below the spline normally cures this issue.
Thank you for the advice.  I am hoping that the problem is that the steering wheel is being pushed down too far so as to bind on the outer column, in which case Ruairidh's circlip trick will cure the problem.
Bit of experimenation this morning and three suitable sized circlips on their way to Malcolm in the post this afternoon. Three clips lets him lose one, break a second and use the third Big Grin

Steve
Smile 
That's assuming that you don't drop the packet of circlips down the drain next to the post box!
(16-11-2021, 01:51 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: That's assuming that you don't drop the packet of circlips down the drain next to the post box!

Just back. I didn't Big Grin

Steve