Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drive shaft
WANTED, a driveshaft for an RP that is going to have a replacement axle assembly from a later car. The needed axle has the fabric u-joint behind the transmission and is splined at the torques tube end These drive shafts were utilized from June of 1933 thru July of 1934. The driveshaft would need to be shipped to the USA.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards:  Arnie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arnie - I've got one of these that has been shortened for SWB use in the past that I am no longer using. Have you got the 6 hole plate for the torque tube end already? DM me an email address and I'll send you a photo if you don't find anything else!
Thanks for the reply.  What I have is a complete u-joint attached to my replacement rear axle assembly. The driveshaft with the Cardan joint is still attached to the junk axle.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So you need "just" the male splined part to fit in this (which will be a different size from other later Hardy Spicer prop splines) But you might be unlikely to find unless with a spare early UJ. Ring round the cherished suppliers?? I wonder if you could make a new one out of a more common early propshaft. (You are welcome to dimensions, but I suppose that bit will be hardened steel...)
What I could do is to take a section of yours with the spline and use a sleeve to fit to my shortened shaft. Shipping would cheaper too.   My existing shaft is .88 inches in diameter. I  have sent an email to Tony Betts to inquire if he may have one. I also sent an email to a USA firm that deals in drive shafts to see if they have anything in a 10 spline shaft 1 inch in diameter.  I truly appreciate your interest  in this matter. Arnie
Why don’t you change the flange on the axel and buy a modern hardy spicer propshaft
A new driveshaft is not inexpensive when you consider the relationship of the Pound to the Dollar and then add in the cost of shipping it to the USA which is not cheap.  Thanks for your interest  Arnie
disassemble that 6 bolt universal joint and get a serious quote on reconditioning if required before you dismiss the idea of importing one of David's. There is also the spline condition and those troublesome fabric joints.  The balance will improve.
I've got exactly what you want but before looking at getting it to you, I'd suggest considering the post above seriously. The Hardy Spicer joint used on this type of shaft is not like later types and simply comprises spiders running in steel cups. No needle rollers. Once worn that's it as parts are not available to restore. The reason I've got a couple of these shafts is exactly that and both were replaced long ago with later type shafts the fitting of which is about the best improvement you can make to an A7 that doesn't have one.

Steve
Squeak and Steve:  Thanks for the advice. I have bitten the bullet. followed your advice and ordered a new driveshaft.  Thanks for the help:  Arnie