The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collection of high-end Austin Sevens for sale including a Supercharged Ulster
Got me excited there for a minute.
(12-11-2021, 09:12 AM)JonE Wrote: more of these please Tony..!

I know that David Howe has been doing research on Ulsters from mag advertising, but things like the mention of 'green' for that TT, with its spec and date (at 2nd or third owner), are tremendously useful for making links... I'll lift for the Ulster archive site if you can tell me the mag...
Autocar, February 27th 1937,

I have another from the same year with an Ulster for sale - I'll put that up shortly. I'll also rake through others I have - there's might even be a blown ex-works car still in its export packing offered as a straight swap for a low-mileage Big Seven.
(12-11-2021, 10:09 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: A maroon Wydor, from 1930. More than that, a choice of SIX 1930 Wydors. Were they all maroon?

just shows that by 1937 they were as confused as we are now! See the coachbuilt Granville WydoOr here... https://sevenrk.wordpress.com/rf-rk-survival/
I'm pretty sure the 6 are "just" wide-doored RKs as per Andrew's pic. But not and never Wydor.
And check the advert in Tony's latest thread, GE Cups from £16; the advertiser is listing 'a 1931 saloon, 1930 Wydor saloon, 1929 saloon and 1928 saloon'! I initially thought the last three would be an RL, an RK and an R, but then I saw the 1931 listing...
but they would never have used those terms, would they Mike? In the same way as 'EA' - not on anything other than Austin technician's radar. They just help us with bodies these days now that things have the potential to be a bit more mixed up?
No they wouldn't; I was just trying to rationalise the differences - short door, wide-door, steel body, but that idea fell down when I saw the additional 1931 car!
Another Autocar advertisement 13th November 1942.
This is my car confirmed as it was featured in a series "Talking of sports cars" a few weeks later.
It's owner must have thought a lot for it as the ad " Good home wanted"
When we had a spare afternoon while in the new forest we decided to see if we could find Little Ridge and did !
I would love to find out what Mr W Jackson was doing down there during the war when his home was Bingley West Yorkshire.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-11-2021, 10:09 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: A maroon Wydor, from 1930. More than that, a choice of SIX 1930 Wydors. Were they all maroon?

Yes, I know this one is green.

Andrew,
The car illustrated is a standard RK saloon. Wydoors were specific coachbuilt models, manufactured by Granville Motors, Waltham Green.
Agreed Chris, but I bet none of those in the original advert originated at Granville Motors - well, it's just possible that the 19 guinea 1929 coachbuilt one did - it just shows that the use of the term for RK saloons is nothing new.