The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
818 YUX where are you?
Hello All
Through the A7CA I have had an enquiry from a gent who has some history information an photos of the above car and would like to pass this on to the current owner. Anyone know the whereabouts of this car?
Many thanks.
Adrian.
Unfortunately, 818YUX is a very recent "Age (un)related" registration and will be of no use at all in tracing the car's history, so any information that its previous owner has would be invaluable if the current owner is interested. Do you know what it was previously?

It's so important to keep original registrations if at all possible - they are a vital part of the vehicle's heritage.

All too often, one is forced to accept one of these vile, inappropriate things (owing to lack of paperwork I shall soon be in that position). Sales of original registrations are however acts of vandalism, driven by greed and in my opinion should not be permitted!

Since the registration remains the property of DVLA and can be withdrawn at any time, I'm at a loss to understand how such a lucrative trade has come into being at all.
The other problem is that people, (or traders at least) now seem to be in a position where they feel they can't pass on any history files due to data protection laws.

So they just get thrown away / destroyed.
I haven't heard of that happening, austin, but that's crazy: the Data Protection Act specifically relates to computer-held records, so paper documents are not affected by the Act.
Yes, I have recent experience of that myself.

Also, because people don't understand the letter of the law, they cast the net wider than necessary just to cover their backs. 
One specific worth remembering is that GDPR (as I understand it, at least) only applies to the living, so historical records are largely exempt.
Hello Martin
The history I have been given so far is:

Whilst resident in France for about 20 years, I restored various vehicles, and was involved in historic motor racing in Europe, primarily in a 1959 Kieft Formula Junior. In my travels, I came across an Austin 7 box saloon in a barn near Limoges. This must have been around 2005 . It had been there in storage for about 20 years or so....apparently, a British fellow had part-exchanged it with a Paris BL dealership on buying a new Mini, at a time when the French Government was offering a bonus on any old car being taken off the road.  It was showing a reg no of GX 954, but no paperwork to go with it. However, the dealer taking it in whilst pocketing the bonus, was reluctant to send the A7 for scrap, and sent it to a friends barn in Limoges.  With the barn going to be sold, the A7 had to go.
Having had up to that point 8 A7s myself (from a 1923 through saloons/chummy/ sports/and a racer which I won the 750MC racing championship in 1988), I thought I had moved on from A7s, but no, I couldn't pass this by.  We trailered it home to the Dordogne, and over the years, between other cars, slowly took it apart to a bare chassis, and then built it up.  With no old paperwork, it was re-registered 818 YUX, and I subsequently sold it to a dealer outside Dover.

Adrian.
I apologise if this question is a bit off piste, but what are the ethics of sending to our Registrar the registration number, and perhaps a brief ID of the model, of any Seven which is not presently listed thereon?  There are many to be seen at local shows, in museums and showrooms, hill-climbs, on rallies and other venues which are not on the Register.

As the registration numbers of (most) extant Sevens are already in the public domain (via a quick search on the DVLA website for example) can an owner of such an 'unknown' Seven have a valid case against the Registrar and demand its removal? Just wondering, that's all...
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
818 YUX was in Sheffield and advertised for sale in the April 2020 PWA7 club magazine, I think it's original registration number was GX 954.
Hi Everyone,
I know a little about this car having been alerted to its existence by a non Austin 7 friend of mine about 2 or 3 years ago who did some groundwork for its then owner who lived a few miles from me.
The car wouldn't start / run at all so I went up one evening, swapped various bits off the Nippy and got it going reasonably well; made a shopping list; put the bits back on my car and went home. I returned a few days later with the new parts and the car ran quite nicely. Unfortunately, it didn't stop at all and the steering was "loose" on the brief road run I did in it but I never got to drive it again as unfortunately, the owner died shortly after this and his wife decided to sell the car. I did succeed in getting it running in the garage again for her but decided not to try driving it given my previous experience!
It was then a yellow and green RN saloon with seats covered in some sort of curtain type material. I seem to recall that the owner told me he bought it from a dealer near Scarborough.
If required, I could contact his widow and pass on any further information (with her permission of course) that she may have although she claimed to have very little knowledge or interest in the car.
Not sure if that helps or not?
Best wishes,
Nick
(11-11-2021, 08:27 PM)Bob Olive Wrote: I apologise if this question is a bit off piste, but what are the ethics of sending to our Registrar the registration number, and perhaps a brief ID of the model, of any Seven which is not presently listed thereon?  There are many to be seen at local shows, in museums and showrooms, hill-climbs, on rallies and other venues which are not on the Register.

As the registration numbers of (most) extant Sevens are already in the public domain (via a quick search on the DVLA website for example) can an owner of such an 'unknown' Seven have a valid case against the Registrar and demand its removal? Just wondering, that's all...

I send in details if people advertise things for sale publicly with such details publicly viewable, or noted. i.e. when things come up on Facebook for sale. It may the only chance to get things recognised for posterity before another 50 or 60 year ownership! I'd be interested to know too whether the Registrar is obliged to remove such things by a present owner's request. I'm presuming probably not. But would be interesting to know. 

Shows and the like which are admission-related aren't really public as such, and things that would demand a bit of overt observation - I'd have said that was NOT ok... too invasive.