The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books about timber frame building
finished with this now should anyone want it... £12 posted UK    
new 2019
Err, perhaps you should check the price of the one on ebay I just posted...

;o)

Oops! Already sold :o)
I have a 1924 copy of Motor Bodywork by Herbert Butler (forward by Herbert Austin!) which is pretty comprehensive, but unfortunately also rather expensive:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD...1-_-title2
(03-11-2021, 05:49 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Err, perhaps you should check the price of the one on ebay I just posted...
Oops! Already sold :o)
if you keep your eyes open, World of Books is particularly good for those bargains! Like the Woodrow which went for a tenner to someone on ere recently? I think I paid 15 quid for it and was happy with that at the time.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will do some searching. I've used both ABE books (who are owned by Amazon if you didn't know) and World of Books before. I already have saved searched for some other books I have been looking for for years on the local auction site too so I'll seek out the books mentioned. The aircraft building books suggestion is a good one too, thanks Dave! I do have the two Wheatly and Morgan and books already.

Simon
Look out for the VARNZ green book too Simon, has some useful stuff about NZ timbers, their use in bodywork, preservatives and joints.
Black Art Enthusiast
I found the Colin Peck book above on World of Books for £20 plus £2 delivery to NZ. That seems very low for delivery but that's what it was. The book is listed locally (but not in stock) for at least twice that price and about 3 times as much for courier to my house!

I'll look out for that VAR book Ian. I suspect sourcing timber when the time comes will be interesting. At the moment I can't even get cheap ply for lining bits of my shed very easily!

Simon
Having been a trained boatbuilder and having worked on a few wooden boats I suggest looking at boat building and restoration books.
A lot of the boatbuilding joint work is far more complex than car bodywork but it is still a relevant guide especially when it comes to laminating and steaming timber.

While working in one boatyard I made some new door timber frames for an MG TD or TF,
They were made of Iroko though. Offcuts from a 40" ketch.
Ash is a much nicer wood to work with though.
Most car timberwork is either halving joints or mortice and tenons.
A certain Hispano Suiza had a body made of rosewood though.
(03-11-2021, 07:51 PM)jansens Wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I will do some searching. I've used both ABE books (who are owned by Amazon if you didn't know) and World of Books before. I already have saved searched for some other books I have been looking for for years on the local auction site too so I'll seek out the books mentioned. The aircraft building books suggestion is a good one too, thanks Dave! I do have the two Wheatly and Morgan and books already.

Simon

I did not know ABE was owned by Amazon Huh 

Is this a recent happening ?
Only recent by Austin 7 timescales Tony,
They bought them over a decade ago and amazingly, haven't messed them up

c