The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Speed Gearboxes
I am currently assembling a three speed box with all new gears and bearings and would appreciate some guidance on setting the first motion shaft. Obviously there is no positive longitudinal location for this gear, it seems that you set the output shaft in temporarily than press the first motion shaft in until there's minimal end float.
The balance of the set up seems to be well covered in the various publications.
Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Runciman
Perth, Australia
The Good Book (Woodrow) says for a 3 speed crash box:
"1st motion shaft
Whilst gearbox is still hot press assembly of 1st motion shaft, bearing and oil thrower into gearbox housing."
It then continues as follows;
"Shim adjustment of of 1st motion shaft
1. With gearbox hot, temporarily fit rear cover and third motion shaft and gasket. Secure with two bolts.
2. Fit first motion shaft assembly in position, push hard into gearbox.
3. Using front cover add shims between front cover and 1st motion bearing untill a clearance exists between cover and gearbox equal to thickness of gasket when compressed.
4. Let gearbox cool.
5. With position of first motion shaft assembly determined, remove front cover and third motion shaft. retain and note number of shims. If when the gearbox housing is cool it is possible to move the first motion bearing in the housing use Loctite Bearing Retainer to locate in correct position.
6. Move layshaft bearings in gearbox housing until 1st motion gear is in full mesh with the layshaft constant mesh gear. Ensure there is no end play of laygears on shaft. Select shims to fill recess for both layshaft bearings. Note that the distance piece fits (with any shims) at the rear layshaft bearing."

After this it goes on to fitting and adjustment of the selector forks.

I hope this helps. my car is a '36 tourer with a 4 speed synchro box and I purchased the Woodrow manual when I had to replace bearings and found it to be worth the money. I note that someone recently obtained a manual on Ebay for a trifling sum.
Cheers, PeterA.