The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Plate stickers...
https://www.facebook.com/Harvey-Services...1966648599

Just spotted this on Facebook may be of interest, With painted numbers as well.
In NZ such things are illegal. Only plates issued by the transport agency are allowed. Apparently they did look into stick on plates but decided it was too difficult to find a suitable product. People still have stick on ones though (or painted on) and get away with it. Just depends on how picky the people enforcing the rules decide to be.

As far as I can tell it's not something specifically checked at WOF (MOT) time even though the car has to have them and the number is recorded. Since there isn't a checkbox mentioning plates I guess the inspectors just don't bother/care. The only checkbox is for 'rear license plate illumination lamp' it seems.

If I were making some myself I would make the metal plate then put masking tape over it and laser cut the letters/numbers out and peel off the bits I didn't want to mask. A low power desk top laser cutter can easily cut the tape but it won't affect the metal underneath. Saves trying to hand position cut out letters. You do need access to a laser cutter though of course!

Simon
I have used Classic Transfers a couple of times using their stick on letters/numbers, comes as one strip.  You just need to provide a black background if on the body.
Thank you for your help everyone, much appreciated.
I also used the mask from classic transfers, then brush painted the characters. Works very well and their font is very nice as in the photo above, from another contributor. The best paint to use is One-shot....signwriters paint which goes on beautifully. It also looks better if you use ivory paint instead of white, particularly if the car has some patina, but that's a personal choice.