The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Original Ulster for sale
hi erich.

it sounds like you have my ulster.

the truth is, 90 year old cars. rearly servive like they were rapped in bubble rap when they leave the factory.

the ulster being austins sports model of the day, was mainly made for those who wanted to go racing. so they were thrashed. crashed etc.

even the best serviving examples, are only as good as they are because the missing original parts were replaced decades ago. and very few people are left to argue with the changes.

selibrate the servivors for what they are.

if one is found in its original bubble rap, give it to wayne keriney. he has a lovely heated and air conditioned room it can end its days in.

tony
Tony, the case of originality is certainly a fractured one. I am reminded of the case of Elizabeth Meyer and the America's Cup contender, Endeavour 1. Meyer found the hull in a mud birth and painstakingly restored it. In the end, all of the plating and frames had to be replicated, excepting only the keelson which could be saved. So it was recreated using the original patterns and drawings with mostly new parts. Was it the original Endeavor 1? As much as any boat could claim that title. And it is still actively being sailed.

Nothing remains original once it leaves the works. I tend to think of it as part of the history, the patina.

Erich in Mukilteo
I've misplaced the engraved plaque but I can assure all concerned that I actually have the one and only Thor's Original Hammer, together with receipts from the Forge for six replacement heads and 15 new shafts
(22-10-2021, 11:23 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi erich.

it sounds like you have my ulster.

the truth is, 90 year old cars. rearly servive like they were rapped in bubble rap when they leave the factory.

the ulster being austins sports model of the day, was mainly made for those who wanted to go racing. so they were thrashed. crashed etc.

even the best serviving examples, are only as good as they are because the missing original parts were replaced decades ago. and very few people are left to argue with the changes.

selibrate the servivors for what they are.

if one is found in its original bubble rap, give it to wayne keriney. he has a lovely heated and air conditioned room it can end its days in.

tony

Tony is right in his discussion on originality.

Not an Austin 7 but if you have time read about an 'original' Bugatti, it makes the Austin 7 Ulster seem very original  Big Grin Big Grin 

Car Bugatti 35A 1926 for sale - PreWarCar
Splendid chap, Mr Dutton. His collection of stink wheels, aka cyclemotors, is unparalleled. As for originality, on this side of the Atlantic we are fortunate to have a sub committee to carefully check such matters. Submit the full paperwork for your Ruby, or your 1932 Wolseley Wasp, or even your F type Morgan with competition history, and you will be told that the machine is ineligible.
Although it would have nigh impossible with the current set up of the many separate Austin Seven Clubs, two Registers of Ulsters could have been drawn up, one for the genuine article and one for the reproductions.
The Vauxhall 90/98 Club has done this and so enables any prospective purchase to check what he is buying.
Several members within the Frazer Nash Club also wanted these types of Registers but sadly it was never taken up and buyers of these cars now need to be careful.
The problem with registers is that they rely upon the honesty and to an extent knowledge of owners when submitting information about their cars, it takes an extremely knowledgeable registrar to unravel the truth from the information submitted. I don't see why the many A7 clubs should prevent two registers being drawn up Chris, Jon Edgar has done a sterling job of the Nippy's and 65's, he is now building a good data base on Ulster's it would not take a big jump to combine what Jon has been doing with the current A7CA to create just what you discussed. I also believe it is a very worthwhile if a register holds pictures of the cars on it so one can track changes over time and also have a resource for future restorers, it would be a bit of work creating the data base but quite possible with the electronic age. When you really study Ulster body's there are number of tell tale indicators as to it being a genuine body or one of the many reproductions. Even some that are reputed to be exact replicas such as Compound curvatures have inaccuracies which stand out, Athow who posts here has made an extensive study of some of these variations and I am sure there are plenty more that could be identified with good enough detective work.
Black Art Enthusiast