The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummies in USA
There are a couple of Chummies for sale on US eBay. One listed now, but some details of another. In US fashion not much hard data on chassis etc numbers, but maybe not expensive Shipping from USA about £1000 (or was ! ) duty 5% of landed cost. Item 284480148152 should find them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284480148152?ha...Swl7thX2Ca

is it just me that wonders where we put all these things when they come in from SA, USA and NZ? Presumably the present tax situation favours their return even if the exchange rate does not, but the former may not continue forever! Good to have that other plate details... its on the register - hadn't been gone long from UK by the looks of it.
Not that I wouldn't say no to a chummy, I would if I had the spare cash, but looking at that one there seems to be quite a bit "not quite right" with it that will cost to sort it. The hood looks wierd, the upholstery too and the red wheels are a right turn off for me at least. Bike tyres need to go too. Bit of a gamble to buy "unseen". Caveat emptor.
Looking for a vintage Seven a few years back, I bought the yellow Chummy in the picture that had been in Oregon since 1969 and just re-imported by a dealer.  It needed a lot of work to get it back on the road - not least the rear axle rebuilding because of missing crown-wheel teeth, repairs to the seats, replacement carburettor - it had a downdraught Tillotson fitted that would not take sufficient fuel by gravity from the tank, a magneto was needed to replace the 1970s coil-conversion that did not work, a horn, a means of measuring the engine oil pressure, an oil pump fix involving turning the two vanes the right way up to establish sufficient oil pressure, a new exhaust to replace the larger diameter one that was unbearably noisy, new brake and suspension parts, a repair to the fuel tank, new rear lights, number plates painting, new (sensible) tyres and one new wheel.  It already had a new battery, but I never got the dynamo to charge reliably. 

It was fun tracing the history.  It had had two owners in its 40+ years in the States - the first a lady doctor, and the second a farmer who had many old cars in his collection and was the one who painted it yellow - it had been maroon.  It turned out that the DMV in Oregon had all the records for the car from the time it was imported - including a copy of the original buff logbook.  This gave the original number for the car, and it was then possible to recover this from the DVLA using an Oregon librarian verified copy of the documents held by the DMV.  Copies of the documents provided had the private owners' names and addresses blanked out for privacy reasons.  It was therefore not possible to trace any of the owners in this country directly prior to 1969, but it did show how many owners there had been and their locations and periods of ownership.  

Overall, it was an interesting project, but in retrospect it might have been easier to start with a UK car.

.jpg   Yellow Chummy.jpg (Size: 185.24 KB / Downloads: 304)
Not to be mean,but please stop exporting sevens out of the us back to where they came from. Yet that does make the value/price of mine increase. Also does anyone know how many sevens are in the us?
A friend just saw a saloon on a trailer with Oregon plates heading through Washington. No plates on the saloon, so it could have come from Canuckistan. Either way it seems another saloon just came to Oregon. I know of a Swallow Sports near me, but have not heard from the owner in several years.

Erich in Mukilteo
(14-10-2021, 09:59 AM)Vancevr Wrote: Not to be mean, but please stop exporting sevens out of the us back to where they came from. 

Not our problem other than people having too much time and disposable income burning holes in pockets when they could be rewilding their gardens and foraging. You just have to find some local friends to buy the damn things locally!