The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blown engine joy
(08-10-2021, 10:18 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: ive sed it before, i cant understand why sports engines are put under benches.

save them for the future? so who are they being saved for?
its to valuable to risk bracking? well its worthless under that bench.
i cant afford to repair it if i break it? well you will never know when its under the bench. plus a standard engine is not cheap to repair
and so on.

i say use and enjoy it if you own it. if it does break. you can then decide wheather to repair or replace it. 

needless to say, my decision is to use it Wink

tony
That's a wise decision to use your engine and enjoy it. 
Does Robert do it for a living? if so have you got a number and address for him? Thanks, much appreciated
hi edgar,

yes robert does.

he is a member of the forum.

so ill let him make the decision to put his details on or not.

he should read this, so he can PM you.

i very much understand that as a sole trader. if your services are opened to everyone. you can be a busy fool on the phone, instead of working and earning a living.

thats not aimed at anyone, its just what happens.

i used to tell customers, my experience and advice is free. but i have to charge for the parts. nowadays im more careful. as always the few spoil these things for the many.

tony.
How do you attach a video on here ?
You need to upload a video to YouTube, or similar, and then post a link in the message box Dave.
It looks to be an awesome piece of kit. Smile
(08-10-2021, 10:18 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: ive sed it before, i cant understand why sports engines are put under benches.

i cant afford to repair it if i break it? well you will never know when its under the bench. plus a standard engine is not cheap to repair
and so on.

i say use and enjoy it if you own it. if it does break. you can then decide wheather to repair or replace it. 

needless to say, my decision is to use it Wink

tony

Good man. 
It'll certainly put a smile on your face

c
thank you all.

ill let you know how it drives, when it comes back.

and i get some seats in it, (sorry robert).

tony
Mr Foreman has a repro Sports 3 branch manifold currently on 'For Sale' too, for those that interested. Not many sources of those as they are difficult to make well.
i cant afford to repair it if i break it? 

Some will only find out when they break.
Others who happen to have one may not be au fait with using them carefully if they know they have original cranks in. Those that are  - and do - generally have other A7 cars to use at other times...
But the investment of a phoenix rebuild to protect a decent perhaps £2500 value  - but priceless if it's the original - crankcase for those who want to not worry about their driving might force it under a bench. It's not worthless, it's just preserved until a new owner can afford to do the work properly? It's not like the car won't be being used, just with a slightly more generic engine with less rare parts perhaps. 

What have you done with cranks and rods Tony? Presuming this is an original Ulster block.
Hi JonE,

The main original parts are all being used, crankcase, block, head, cozette No4.

The crank and rods, have been replaced for hadley counterbalanced crank and rods.

No guarantees, but hopefully that will make a strong original engine.

My dread of sports engines going under benches, is from type 65s and NIPPY. Once the engines have been removed, they rearlly go back in the car. What usually happens, is the owner knowing the sports engine is very valuable. When selling there car, The engine will go one way for perhaps £6k. And they will still ask for the same price for the car without the sports engine, as they would with it.

An engine under the bench does the same amount of work if its mint or blown up.

So it might as well be in the car, as intended.

Thanks tony.