The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
panel light
I was reading in the owners manual that the dash switch panel of my 29' chummy had a red glass that had a light. so I looked and found that it was burned out. so I looked on eBay and found one with the same numbers in the U.K and bought it. I put the new one in and it worked but the same day I ran the gas out of the carb and the light/switch was left on and it burned out again. luckily I bought two. my question is should I put the new one in and just not forget to put the switch off? any suggestions?
yes
very illuminating,  a message has to be longer than 3 letters
It might be worth trying a 12-volt bulb to see what happens?
the problem appears to be he's leaving the ignition on, if the 12 volt bulb refuses to blow he'll end up with a flat battery.
Do you have any suggestions for a 12v light bulb. I might see the 12v bulb if it didn't die as soon as the 6v
The correct bulb for the Ignition Warning Light on a 1929 chummy (which is that which you keep blowing) was 8 to 9 volts.
(I am quoting from the Austin Handbook 619d page 21 - correct for the 1929 coil ignition car) Substituting a 12v 0.3A bulb will cause no damage but may be a little too dim to grab your attention; turning the ignition off when the engine isn't running is an essential practice - as with modern cars.

Later cars had the bulb holder which incorporated a series resistance and the correct bulb was a 2.5 volt.

Presumably because the 9v bulbs are difficult to source these days, Austin Seven Spares supply a 6v bulb as a substitute. I am fortunate in that in a different life I had access yo 9v bulbs and acquired a few for my stock. NO I will not part with any of them!!
9V MES bulbs available here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352191742639?...Swh9hZ7bV6

or here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203194858898?...xyjK1RBmGE

Usual disclaimer applies.
(09-10-2021, 07:58 PM)Ian McGowan Wrote: .... turning the ignition off when the engine isn't running is an essential practice -  as with modern cars...

Best achieved with a battery master switch with removable key, which it becomes routine to remove when exiting the car - or having a partner who yells "Red key! Fuel!" as you walk away!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
(12-10-2021, 11:30 AM)Stuart Giles Wrote: 9V MES bulbs available here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352191742639?...Swh9hZ7bV6

Usual disclaimer applies.

I have bought things from this guy in the past  Cool Cool

good service.
the only reason i forget to turn off the ignition is i run the gas out of the carb and let the car sit when parked. if i dont run it out then i turn it off right away before i get out of the car.