The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cylinder block dimensions?
Any ideas about these two dimensions?

Valves centre to centre and valves centre to bore centre.

Thanks.

1.125 valve centres (corrected for posterity) 
2.00 valves centre to bore centre
Thankyou Charles.

All the original cylinder block dimensions seem to be in units of 1/16 of an inch.
2" I agree with; are you sure it's not 1 1/8" between valves? - sorry I have nothing to hand I can measure.
(06-10-2021, 09:59 PM)The Chris KC Wrote: 2" I agree with; I'd have said 1 1/8" between valves based on cam dims.

Chris, you are quite correct and have proved that I can't divide 2.25 by 2 in my head.

1.125 between valves is correct, and I've corrected my original post to avoid misleading anyone in the future.

And Henry you are quite right. Having measured a number of crankcases on my crankcase machining journey and interpolated the dimensions I came to the conclusion that any that didn't have a bloody good reason for not being an integer or easy imperial fraction were suspect. 

Charles
I've been through a similar exercise Charles and it's a nightmare - no two parts quite the same and nothing a round figure.
At some point you have to step back and ask yourself what the designer intended...and try to remember it's still a guess!
(06-10-2021, 10:32 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I've been through a similar exercise Charles and it's a nightmare - no two parts quite the same and nothing a round figure.
At some point you have to step back and ask yourself what the designer intended...and try to remember it's still a guess!

Quite.
What the designer intended didn't always correspond with precision & accuracy of the Austin factory. Crankases are horribly variable, especially in the parallel alignment of the crank and cam

C