The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEERING QUSTION.
The steering geometry of Sevens is seriously amiss.. Rocking the car with the steering wedged causes the wheels to turn. Or with the track rod wedged the steering wheel turns. Contributes to the darting off course. On wvvy surfaces can take hands off and wheel will turn back and forth. For that reason the wheel should be held lightly. If the box cannot reverse the wheels are obliged to turn instead of the steering wheel. Steering box in my car has done about 130000 with the worm wheel turned at some stage. About 1/2 inch lost motion but very reversible just by pulling om hubs..
On my 1936 Pearl, when it's jacked up I can move the front wheels (with reasonable effort) from lock to lock in one direction and the steering wheel duly turns. In the other direction it's not possible to move the wheels. I can't remember which direction is easier. I can only assume that friction levels are different when the worm is acting on one or other of its thrust faces.

On the road, the steering is slightly tighter in one direction than the other. This is hardly noticeable when cold, but becomes more so as the box warms up from engine heat. Lubricant is Penrite thixotropic steering box lube.

Fortunately, the wheel alignment and steering geometry seems to be such the car holds a steady course on a flat uncambered road with virtually no steering input. Cambered roads (there are plenty round here in the New Forest) do need a steady pull down with the right hand, more so if a front seat passenger is present.

Answers on a postcard ??
Having recently introduced my 20yr old grandson into the vagaries of driving an 88 yr old car with a crash box, he did comment "it's nothing like my Honda Grandad" to which I replied, no it's not, but it's just how it is.