The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no pets allowed at centenary event
I wish you hadn't done that, Malcolm; looks like I'm gong to be stuck on the NLS site all weekend!
This "dogs" job is becoming a microcosm of the disease affecting one well-known vintage motorcycle club where a tiny, vocal minority moan and curse and see only abject negativity in anything organised on their behalf. This nit-picking band of armchair warriors could, of course, could do a better job at a lower cost and more efficiently - but do they step up and offer their wisdom and time? No, they do not. Instead, they cause such trouble and upset that the hard-working, volunteer administrators eventually throw up their hands and say, "Well, if you don't like it, get on with your own plans. I've had enough, I'm off."  It really is simple - the rule is "No Dogs". Yes, I know it's not a motorsport event, but the owners of this terrific site, in their considerable wisdom, have chosen to impose the rule. I know it's frustrating for some, and one could certainly advance serious, cogent arguments against it. But, just as if a friend asks you to remove your shoes before entering their home you either comply - or leave. It's your choice.
Curious about training rescue and search dogs - and knowing a little about avalanche safety - I found this interesting summary: https://www.aspiringdogs.org.nz/makes-go...escue-dog/ The key sentence: A search dog’s daily life affects their ability to do search and rescue. If a dog in training can frequently play with other dogs, kids or people whenever they want, it is unlikely they will be interested in working as they will already be getting everything they want for free.
I did say that I would say no more about this subject and that I would accept what the rules were for this event and I have, the only reason I put a view forward was because I took it for granted that I would be able to take my two dogs and expressed my surprise about it. At no time did I say, or have I seen any opinions suggesting that the organising committee were not doing a fantastic job, I myself would probably make a pigs ear of "organising a piss up in a brewery", but the subject has certainly got the attention of members over 4,000 views in just five days so clearly it is something that greatly interests people and not just the ones who wish that dogs did not exist best regards to all Rob.
I “read” all posts on this forum so I wouldn’t count me in with the 4000 who are greatly interested - I just scan them so I don’t miss anything that might be interesting.
(09-10-2021, 09:13 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I have been giving my route to the Centenary Rally serious thought.  Like Ruairidh, I have a large collection of OS maps, mostly due to me having organised rallies and road runs for over 40 years, as well as navigating on road rallies and VSCC nav rallies.
Dash4it are great.    Best of all is the National Library of Scotland website.  On this you will find virtually every map produced in Britain.  Every edition of the various OS maps are available.  You can bring them up on screen with no 'copyright' or background wording.  They are very high definition so you can enlarge them, very handy for those of us whose eyes aren't what they used to be.
I like to get the 1" OS maps from when my Austin 7 was made in 1931 and try to plan a route using them.
Be warned.  When you get looking at old maps on the NLS site it is addictive, you can spend hours.   I recently was looking at the 25" to a mile OS sheets showing Brooklands Racing Track in the 1920's, quite fascinating.

Wow! What a resource - thank you for the link. The ability to change the transparency (bottom-left slider) to overlay today's map is a most fascinating thing to play with. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15...rs=168&b=1
O.k nrzam but obviously disinterested enough to say so regards to all Rob.
The NLS has indeed created a brilliant resource. Having been rather active researching historic venues, particularly hill climbs, the various map editions are of huge help. Each of the slim volumes that have accompanied historic hillclimb tours have been able to illustrate the location of the hill on the edition closest in time to its use.Whilst I may have thought I knew how to use the NLS site, Tony has discovered a new technique, for which information, thanks.
Thanks for the link to that mapping site. Extremely interesting. Looking at the 1937-61 map of Brooklands there is a note about a Roman (what have they every done for us?) coin hoard found there in 1907. This link says they were found when they were building the track: https://www.jstor.org/stable/42662187

It always seems sad to me that part of the remaining circuit is just used as a car park these days.

Simon