The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column
Do steering columns vary in length ? Referring to my previous posts, I am trying get together all the bits I need to control the magneto and throttle from the steering wheel. I thought I was well on the way however, when fitting the control lever tubes - I bought from Beaulieu - they seem too long. It looks to be about 1 1/2" to long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi Again

Yes columns do vary in length.  I leave it to more knowledgeable to record which model and year had which length column. 

I just cut the tubes I had to length. Make sure you have enough room to fit the lower levers.

Cheers

Howard
It sounds like you have a short steering column (pre late-1928) for the deep-dished steering wheel, and have got control tubes for the late-1928-34 column).
Many thanks Howard and Mike, a great help. I now need to decide what end to cut. Do I take a chance and try to shorten the bottom ends and hope not to damage the inner tube while cutting the outer or remove the levers and cut the top ends???

Doh....please ignore my last post. Sitting watching the hairy bikers it dawned on me the two tubes are not fixed together but separate so easily shortened.