The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear shocks.
My 1932 RN  I have replaced the shock absorber discs, bush and spring on the saggy offside. It was 35mm lower. It looked OK until I returned from a run out and was 33 mm lower on my return. I have pushed up the side and it stays up until driver gets in and then is low again after getting out. I have tightened up again and still its 33  Is this a spring issue? I have read previous posts on this subject but not sure if they were resolved.
"Ride height" is not controlled by the shock absorbers but is determined by the strength of the springs and how they are set (cambered). If they are sagging , you may need replacements. Have a word with Ian Dunford, he's the man for springs. If you are replacing them they may well be tight. Slacken the mounting bolts and drive over rough roads to get them moving in the chassis, before attempting to drive them out with a long steel drift from the front.
Hi

Shock absorbers or dampers as I think they should be called have little affect on ride height.  It seems to be a spring issue.

I would jack the car up and put axle stands under the rear chassis cross member. Let the jack down so that the axle is free with wheels off the ground (easiest to remove the wheels). You can then check the camber of each rear spring.  Individual springs can be re cambered if they are in good condition.

But you have to get the spring off the car.  Not the easiest task in the maintenance of our cars  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard
Back off the dampers so they are not giving any meaningful amount of friction, then you can observe what the springs do when the car is loaded and unloaded, without their influence.