The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wing Tanks ,a shameless promotion
When I fill a can (usually a 20L metal army surplus style one) I always use the a filling station with the Pay at Pump. Once my cards been accepted I can take the can out and fill it without having to have the approval of the cashier..
(27-09-2021, 08:43 PM)sparkeysprite Wrote: When I fill a can (usually a 20L metal army surplus style one) I always use the a filling station with the Pay at Pump.  Once my cards been accepted I can take the can out and fill it without having to have the approval of the cashier..

You could go one further and use the Sainsbury's station near me that is unstaffed. 

c
I filled a black plastic 'can' with unleaded once. Filled the car first, then a gallon for the 4 stroke water pump I use with the steamer. Opened the door, got the 'can' out and started to fill. The stupid woman shouted at me via the tannoy, she nearly had a coronary when I suggested she would have to take the lid off the pipe to the underground tank if she wanted it back, so I could pour it back in.....She tried to make me buy a green can too. No thanks.

I also had another jobsworth shout at me to shut the bonnet before he would authorise the pump at Morrisons one day. So I did. Then when he authorised it I opened it again and started to fill the scuttle tank.  He actually came out then shouting at me. Moron.

P.S Duncan. Tanks are Ace.
Wow- and I thought Victoria was the Nanny State  Huh 

As far as I know we do not have rules about petrol cans - I have a plastic can and an old metal can - never been asked about either.

Lovely wing tanks by Duncan  Smile
(28-09-2021, 06:16 AM)joe Wrote: For Steve Kay, 
why are you so precious with the chummy in the picture ( you know, then one that’s not yours),
Just get out and use it!  Cool Cool
Joe

Ready supply of fuel, dog blanket on back seat, Barbour on front seat, it looks ready to go to me... Smile
The Chummy was not carrying fuel for itself, but for emergency supplies for participants in the Eight Hills tour. Some of the survivors are shewn in the very, very heavy rain at Bridgnorth Station, cowering in the tents with therapeutic pints of Dr Daniel's. This is      only  photo seen so far, cameras had either given up in the deep gloom, or were too good to be allowed out in the Biblical torrents of rain. On the tour's 77 miles, only two petrol stations selling fuel, rather surprisingly within five miles of each other, close to Bewdley. No fuel anywhere on the way home to South Wales. You can pour as much fuel as you like in to whatever container you like in a preserved railway car park. Going round to the loco shed for coal might be a different matter. 

Hmm, haven't quite mastered the new way of attaching images, sorry.
A good if wet turnout! Returning to the plastic containers I think that much of the legislation was aimed at stopping folk using one one gallon oil tins for fuel (I know I did!). They were (and still are) made in 0.25mm tinned steel which is very, very thin and you can puncture easily with a ball-point pen and, being soldered, were notorious fire risks!
Still better than the young lady seen on the news emptying water bottles to fill with petrol.
Anyone who buys water in a bottle "needs their bumps feeling " IMHO. It's free from taps and we have been duped into believing that "hydration" is critical. There is even a Hydration Council for marketing it! When I were a lad we called it thirsty.
I recall seeing a "promotion" at the Costa in Tibshelf services five or six years ago, you could have a special price of 50pfor 300ml of spring water in a bottle. I pointed out to the assistant (and the queue) that this worked out at £1.50 per litre, almost the same as the price of the fuel on the forecourt at the time (£1.58/l)
Quite right Duncan, I think we bought one bottle of water a decade ago which has been refilled many times from the tap. There's  better photo in today' paper of two guys filling a bucket with a bin liner in it with petrol in today's paper. Don't they know that petrol melts a lot of plastics.