The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wing Tanks ,a shameless promotion
Take your red can to the pump and fill.

Take your red can home and fill wing tank.

Keep remainder for lawn mower.
I had a similar problem to Howard. The assistant said the containers had to be plastic. However they were displaying a sign giving the regulations which said the container could be metal or plastic. Not sure if all garages are required by their licence to display this sign. Below is a link to the governments health and safety executive regulations.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/...ainers.pdf

The older two gallon cans used to have "Petroleum Spirit Highly inflammable" embossed on them, and generally have the manufacture and the date on the bottom.
(27-09-2021, 01:27 PM)Lowespeed Wrote: The older two gallon cans used to have "Petroleum Spirit Highly inflammable" embossed on them, and generally have the manufacture and the date on the bottom.

Yes, mine have. Apparently the "Elf n Safety" police have still banned them  Sad

I have no idea to whom this Chummy belongs, and cannot begin to imagine in which part of the Salopian countryside these cans were filled up on Friday. Farmers with trailers and vast SUVs jamming up the entrance to a petrol station make carrying cans to a pump rather quick and easy. Country manners. Please make your dog chew up this massage once you have read it.
(27-09-2021, 12:35 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Take your red can to the pump and fill.

GREEN can. GREEN

You'd get banned from some Tesco outlets for being so bold as to wield a RED one on an unleaded pump. They're for leaded, so you need to put them in the recycling bin immediately. 

I have a 20 litre jerry can to which I add tetraboost and two stroke with the word "LEADED" stencilled on the side so that I don't make an expensive mistake with a modern.

c
Why do some people (some members of this forum) think they are exempt from the law. Use a can metal or plastic that is legal. I am with Ruairidh although he got the colour wrong. Fill your can in a legal container. As to filling cans The new types and most of the old type petrol pumps cut off the supply when it’s full. That is if you put the spout in far enough.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(27-09-2021, 03:55 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(27-09-2021, 12:35 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Take your red can to the pump and fill.

GREEN can. GREEN

You'd get banned from some Tesco outlets for being so bold as to wield a RED one on an unleaded pump. They're for leaded, so you need to put them in the recycling bin immediately. 

I have a 20 litre jerry can to which I add tetraboost and two stroke with the word "LEADED" stencilled on the side so that I don't make an expensive mistake with a modern.

c

Big Grin
(27-09-2021, 04:49 PM)John Mason Wrote: Why do some people (some members of this forum) think they are exempt from the law. 

John Mason

Serious answers John.

I think there are two main reasons that combine to make some people act as if they are exempt from the law.

1.  They see so much law-breaking around them every day.(eg crossing double white lines. exceeding 20mph speed limits. etc)

combined with...

2. Some laws seeming to be silly and maybe they are recommendations not laws (eg using the wrong colour of approved petrol can. )
I have an example of the plastic can being unsuitable for petrol. Many years ago, using two Austin Sevens, I took a wife and four children on the trip to southern France through le Puy, I forget the end destination. Since the six of us were camping and carrying food etc the cars were quite full. To make space I hung the spare petrol on the spare wheel of my RN, where it was subject to the heating effect of the sun much of the time until I discarded it: it had swollen due to vaporisation and burst. So much for the safety of plastic petrol containers! But still the authorities encourage us to use them.
(27-09-2021, 04:49 PM)John Mason Wrote: Why do some people (some members of this forum) think they are exempt from the law. Use a can metal or plastic that is legal. I am with Ruairidh although he got the colour wrong. Fill your can in a legal container.  As to filling cans The new types and most of the old type petrol pumps cut off the supply when it’s full. That is if you put the spout in far enough.

John Mason

Hi John

In the main I agree with your comment but the “regulations” posted by Lowespeed are in fact “guidance”.  Tesco and other stores have interpreted this guidance for their own company policy and seem to suggest that plastic cans are the only ones they will accept on their forecourt.

Filling an “allowed” fuel container then decanting that into my metal can is what I do. However I’m not sure what reaction my insurance company would have if they were called to fulfil a claim!

Cheers

Howard