The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's mystery photo
Jeff, the photo on the wall is of a propshaft and a series of different sizes of 'pot' joints.
Ah yes, I need to go to supersavers! I've deleted the post.
The arrangements for telephony are of interest - though I profess no expertise in this field! The candlestick type behind him has no dial so pre-dates the automatic exchange. The set on top of his desk looks like an early Ericsson. 
His pen appears to be of the type which one dipped in the ink (open bottle on desk) from time to time...and he was most definitely groomed and posed for the occasion!
EJ Hardy is listed in Grace's Guide. Interesting that the Godiva plug uses mica. I had thought that KL Guiness was the one who first used mica in spark plugs. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/E._J._Hardy_and_Co

Erich in Mukilteo
It's a lovely photo, with the most complex technology being the candlestick telephone. I am quite taken with the E J Hardy suggestion, and I never knew that those pull-out desk flaps were designed to support fabric propshaft couplings or extra-large digestive biscuits as required. He looks to be the boss, with others getting their hands dirty.

In the 1939 register, E J (Edward John) Hardy was living at Ryon Hill House at Hampton Lucy near Stratford on Avon, a country house with parkland. He is listed as a company director. This suggests quite a rise in status from the "dealer in motor accessories" listed in the 1911 census.
It also appears that Hardy became chairman of Birfield Industries in the late thirties, a company that survives today.

Erich in Mukilteo
Have we actually proved it is Hardy yet? Can anyone find a photo of him?
(21-09-2021, 02:55 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Jeff, the photo on the wall is of a propshaft and a series of different sizes of 'pot' joints.

Actually 'Spicer' mechanical joints. There one on the desk too
Don't forget to click on the picture to get the full-resolution version - and then click again to get an enlargement. What you see first is just a giant thumbnail.
It is the accountant figuring out the profit to be gouged from regular sale of replacement fabric couplings. With Jowetts it was Layrubs and they are still creaming it.