The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's mystery photo
The attached is a photo that came in a collection of items donated by Adli Halabi (thanks Adli!) It is reputed to have come from the Library at the Longbridge works. So, presumably an Austin connection but would anyone like to suggest who he is? Obviously an engineer (look at what he has in front of him)

Thoughts?

He appears to like golfing judging by pictures on the wall. Has a "The Motor Calendar" on the desk, cannot make out the year. Also a large reel of 35mm film on the desk slide-out.

The three pictures on the wall with captions look like transmission photos. I'm thinking c.1920.

Russell.
(21-09-2021, 01:41 PM)Russlin Wrote: Also a large reel of 35mm film on the desk slide-out.

Isn't the reel of film a fabric front universal joint?
I think you are right Ian.
Yes, there is no doubt it is a Fabric joint. As for the calendar, if you blow the photo up, the first day mentioned in that week is dated 28, it goes to 31, then 1 and 2. That is only 6 days, so is it fair to assume that it doesnt show Sundays? If so, having done a little digging, 1st June was a Friday in 1928.... Prior to that, the next earlier Friday was 1923...
If the calendar page in in May, then having Monday 28th would indicate 1923. After some photo attachment problems, the quality of this image is brilliant. Enough anorak behaviour, back to the workshop.
Judging by the photos on the wall this is a picture in the propshaft factory rather than a car factory. There is a Hardy disc prominent on the desk and the guy is important enough to have his own office. My guess is this is E J Hardy
Alan Fairless
Jeff, couldI suggest that you downloaded the image as attachment, far better definition.
E. J. Hardy was born in Birmingham in 1874 and in 1911 was living at 40 Park Road, Coventry. In 1925 he agreed with the Spicer Corporation to licence their joint; the name of the company was changed to Hardy Spicer & Co. He died in 1950
(21-09-2021, 02:30 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Interesting photo on the wall - it appears to show a cargo vessel travelling up / down river with 9 huge handbell shaped structures on the bank behind - are these familiar to anyone? 

unsure if this was a serious suggeston or not, but it did make me laugh!